Amount of detergent

jms895

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I know we all use different stuff, 2 in 1, non bio, soap nuts etc....

But how much do you use? Ie: table spoon, cup etc..... I am not good at actual measuring! I am wondering if I am using too much or not enough :rofl:

Note i always use a bit of Napisan in a pre wash or Soda crystals (one spoon) every so often in drawer. Also essential oils in softener drawer.

I use Bold2in1 which suggests 95ml for soft water areas, so I use a 25ml measure (that's 1 2/3 tablespoons).

I'd say it's not very helpful for people to give actual amounts unless you know they use the same stuff as you with the same size load, cos for example I use Persil small and mighty which is a concentrated one but I'd use more liquid if I was using the non-concentrate and I'd use less if I was putting a smaller load in, ifysim?

I use about a quarter of the amount recommended on the bottle/box for a full load of nappies. Basically I always use the smallest amount I can that still gets the nappies clean.

I use non bio tablets- not gel ones... And I used 1/3 or a 1/2 of a tablet depending on size of load xx

When I used Ariel or Bold 2-in-1 powder, I used 1 tablespoonful for what was usually about 1/2 a load of nappies.

I keep hearing Bold 2 in 1 is great but thought you were not supposed to use non-bio and no softener? x

thats what I thought but I bought it anyway..hahaha

Non-bio is fine if you find it works for you. Some people find it doesn't get rid of stains but it works for lots of people and it's better for baby's skin. Softener is not good unless it's clay based. Most are oil based softeners which clog up the nappies but Bold 2 in 1 is a clay based softener so it's fine. It's the only one I know of that's ok.

Thanks, I want to try it as everyone says it smellls sooooo nice! I just use napisan and non bio at mo and they dont really smell of anything unless I use oils x

Bold 2in1 smells looooovely :) I also love the smell of Fairy non-bio powder, but for some reason although it'll make clothes smell nice, it doesn't do it to nappies :shrug: I love how clean it makes them feel though, so I tend to do half Fairy powder and half Bold 2in1 :blush: I got the tip from x-li-x, and it's working well for us :)

At some point I'm considering looking into Ecoballs. Although I get my Bold and Fairy at Costco, so it comes in HUGE boxes which take me a while to get through :rofl:

So do you use Bold gel 2 in 1? Then mix with fairy powder? How much of each? xx

Just something to consider, I've always been advised that if your nappies come out smelling of your washing powder you're using too much. You should just use enough to get them clean and then rinse until there are no bubbles left, which also removes the smell. You'll probably find yourself having to do proper strip washes more often if they smell of detergent.

I use the Bold 2in1 Powder, jms :)

There are never any bubbles left on my final rinse, so I don't think there's any left on my nappies. I don't have absorbency or smell issues either... So far, so good!

I sometimes use Bold or I use Surf with Essential Oils. I use it in tablet form and cut one tablet in half - in a normal clothes wash I'd use 2 tablets cos I live in a hard water area so I use a quarter of the normal amount :thumbup: It seems to work well, it washes out stains and my nappies usually smell fresh (not detergent fresh, but clean fresh!) Also, even if the weather is crappy, I'll put them outside (we have a covered balcony) for a couple of hours, cos I just love the smell of outdoors on them!

i use a non bio powder lol normally whatevers on sale, and about 1/4 -1/3 of the normal amount depending on the size of my load atm we are using persil but when i run out of powder i use persil non bio concentrate and about half a capful when they say to use 2 for a normal load in a hard water area

Thanks everyone! I will continue to the use the non bio I have. May give the soap nuts a try next then Bold 2 in 1 :D

i use the bold 2 in 1 powder- 1/4 amount recommended.

(but then i use 1/2 the recommended amount for EVERYTHING... i always have... makes my money last twice as long and my clothes always smell yummy!)

Thanks! I use fairy on clothes and non bio for us (me and OH) but on the nappies I just use cheap non bio for the mo. When thats gone will try the soap nuts :D

I also wonder if the area you are in matters? Where I am in Scotland, we have really really soft water. Not sure if water hardness comes into these things at all?

In Scotland, you're actually recommended to always use half (or less) than the "recommended" amount. Apparently the Scottish washing machine engineers really piss off the detergent reps, as they are really pedantic about making sure people know that soft water needs much less detergent :rofl:

I also wonder if the area you are in matters? Where I am in Scotland, we have really really soft water. Not sure if water hardness comes into these things at all?

In Scotland, you're actually recommended to always use half (or less) than the "recommended" amount. Apparently the Scottish washing machine engineers really piss off the detergent reps, as they are really pedantic about making sure people know that soft water needs much less detergent :rofl:

I'd have thought it makes a massive difference tbh. I live in a very hard water area and I've noticed that when we go to softer water areas, I often forget and put the usual amount of shampoo on my head..then spend 20 minutes rinsing it all out :rofl: I'd have thought it'd be the same for the detergent :)
I think most washing powders usually say the amount to use for hard water or soft water areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->