Amoxicillin 500mg?

Kari1432

Reaction score
Hey guys!! I was prescribed Amoxicillin (500mg, 3 times a day) by my dentist to treat a small infection in my gums. Has anyone taken this in pregnancy in this same dosage? It seems like a lot to take it 3X a day and that worries me. My doctor said Amoxicillin is perfectly safe but I forgot to ask her about the dosage...

does anybody know?

I was given it for a uti but it was only 250mg - but it did not work and was swapped to another antibiotic also 250mg I forget the name and the box is upstairs.

Think I'd check the doseage with gp xxx

yep, its safe xx I had 500mg for a UTI, (ended up needing a different medicine anyway) but my doctor told me that it was safe.

I've had 4 prescriptions for this so far and I'm only 20weeks. Baby is fine and I was warned that the infection is far more dangerous to the baby than the drugs were.

I've had mine all for gum infections by the way xx

MY OH is a pharmacist, and says it is perfectly safe, incl the dosage.

Amoxicillin is basically penicillin, which is the safest antibiotic for pregnant woman to take.
Just remember to take probiotics... With that dosage you cuold get thrush!

this article should help

https://www.medicinenet.com/amoxicillin/article.htm

I'm a pharmacy tech, and 500mg 3x is one of the most common, if not THE most common dosage we generally see. I wouldn't be too concerned, but I would definitely recommend speaking to your OB about something to take along with it because it can commonly cause yeast infections in women.

A couple of weeks ago I was prescribed 500mg 3x day for a bad chest infection. I did some googling and was reassured.
Baby has been wriggling alot recently since so hope that helps to reassure you.
I was expecting to be told 'you have a cold,dont be pathetic we cant give you anything' but the doctor was great and told me the risk of a severe infection (which is where I was heading)was far worse than an antibiotic that has been used extensively and safely for pregnant women (as long as there is no penicillin allergy risk).
Yes it did give me thrush which was treated with canesten cream. But tbh anything was better than the uncontrollable coughing/throwing up/weeing myself and fainting!!. The 'glowing' second trimester eh?!
I did the research and took the antibiotics.

Thanks everyone! That sucks that you can end up with thrush, though... but I guess it's not so bad when you consider the alternative.

Thanks again for your reassurance :)

any antibiotic can result in a yeast infection or thrush. when I got diagnosed with my UTI, they also swabbed me and turned out I also had a yeast infection on top of that. So they gave me a antibiotic to take on the first day, and after I was finished with my antibiotic for the UTI as it could cause a yeast infection/make one worse. Just keep an eye out!

i had the exact same dosage of same meds.. they did nothing :( on some different ones now.. fingers crossed yours goes xxxx

why don't you try to use ampicillin or augmentin for treatment? i have successed.
you could find it's infomation on gg. or you could buy it with cheapest in here:*
good luck friend

I've been on amoxicillin 500 mg twice now for utis and I'm only 16 weeks. I still have the uti and have been put on nitrofurantoin 50mg. I don't like that I've had to take so much antibiotics but just trying to trust the doctors know best. Really hoping i get rid of this uti this time 😕

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->