Amoxicillin

xLaurax

Oliver and Chloe's mummy
Reaction score
Hey ladies,

hope this is in the right place!!

Oliver has a chest infection :( The doctor gave us this on thursday evening and yesterday and today he has had very bad diarrhoea, and isn't taking as much milk.... I really dont want him to get dehyrated.

Should i stop giving him this or carry on and try and force any kind of fluid down him?

I hate seeing my baby poorly :(

Thankyou in advance for any replies!!

Hi,

The medicine is given to treat the chest infection, I would check with NHS direct first that his symptoms can't be related to any reaction to the medicine and read any information that came with it to see if this is a possible reaction.
If it is NOT something that causes a reaction like he is experincing then it would be better to try and continue it to help fight the chest infection, if it is a reaction then perhaps the doctor could give you an alternative.
Keep fluids going in as much as you can even if he is off his milk.

Its horrid when our babies are poorly but hopefully he will be feeling better soon

Take care

:baby:thinkpink xx

make sure hes drinking alot of water and also u can get a product called dioraline (sp) to give him to keep his sugar and salt levels up i had to use this with zane hes recently had a bug.

if ur not happy with the side effects of the drug then call n ask to speak to ur docs or even go into a pharamcy and ask advice on what u shud do.

in my opinion ive never been given good advice from nhs direct

That can be a side effect of antibiotics, but you shouldn't stop them, just make sure he stays hydrated, if it was serious enough to give them in the first place he should really finish out his round of them.

We also had this problem with antibiiotics, try feeding him little and often, loads of nappy free time to prevent the inevitable nappy rash. Once your LO has finished the course the runny nappys should clear up in a day or two.

Thanks girls!!

Hischest infection seems a bit better, hes not coughing as often now, but he still has a bad belly he's pooing every couple of hours and its just like water :( I am managing to get him to feed more now though which is a good thing :)

:hugs: glad he's feeding more sweetie, poor little mite :hugs: hope he feels better soon :hugs: xxx

I would stop the anti biotics and call the doctor and tell him whats happening.
He may be able to prescribe a different anti biotic that wont cause the diarrhea.

I've just been given Amoxicillin yesterday for an infection - after reading the instructions it states that;

"Ocassionally some people find that amoxicillin gives them diarrhoea or upsets their stomach. If you suffer badly found this you should contact your doctor."

So I'd just suggest to follow the instructions and contact your doctor if you think (and it does sound like it) that he's suffering badly from the side-effects.

Hope it all goes alright. xx

Yep i was going to say contact the doc , josh has been on amox a few times but when he was younger it gave him the runs & when i contacted doc he said thats ok providing its not longer than 48hrs & that he is drinking as you lose a lot of fluid through runs & being in this weather it wont help ,...but it also sounds like a little tummy bug. I;d confirm with the doc 1st hun :) Hope your lo feels much better soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->