Anaemic during pregnancy?

C

Ceejay123

Anyone know anything about the affects of anaemia on pregnancy/baby?

I had a consultant appointment yesterday to check the growth of my child, as my first stopped growing. He asked if my midwife had done any 28 week bloods - she's not even seeing me until 32 weeks? So he got annoyed at did them.

Turns out my haemoglobin levels are very low, I'm severely anaemic (good job he did them) but I've just had this voicemail on my phone telling me I'm anaemic and need tablets straight away.. And everywheres closed for the weekend -.- haha. Googling hasn't helped - it's linked to low birth weight like my first. X

I was anemic with my DD but just took iron supplements. She was born 2 days over her EDD a healthy 7lbs 10oz. Anemia is pretty common in pregnancy.

Thanks for the reassurance :) my sister was anaemic, but mildly with levels at 114. Mine are low 90's at the minute.

I've got to pick up a prescription on Monday - my main concern is with my history of static growth from 33 weeks, my son was born 4lbs. Severe Anaemia can be a factor x

I have a blood disorder that causes severe anemia with pregnancy. For me it's an issue with my bone marrow not producing good blood cells so tablets don't work. with my first ds I even needed blood transfusions while I was pregnant! But the thing with maternal anemia is that for the most part, you'll feel terrible, but your baby gets what he or she needs first. Don't worry too much. Just eat well, rest, and get your tablets when you can.

Levels in the 90s aren't great but not horrible either. My levels were 70s-80s with my first son. low 70s I got a transfusion. with ds2 they were at high 80s and 90s and no intervention needed.

Thank you guys :) will be picking up my tablets and calling my midwife on Monday. X

I've been aneamic by 28 weeks both pregnancies. Last time I took the tablets but had another test at 36 weeks and was fine so they took me off them. This time I'm taking the tablets again so we'll see. Get some spatone in the mean time. To warn you the tablets make you very constipated and make your poo go black so watch out ;)

I've just had my 28 week app with midwife who said I'm slightly anaemic, so she has prescribed me 1 iron tablet every other day. My level was 107 and she said the cut off point where they would normally intervene is 105. So just to be on the safe side to take the tablets xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->