And Baby Makes Seven... Helping my Four Dogs Adjust!

UhOhWhatNow

Reaction score
I'm 100% confident with dogs- their training, handling, and conditioning... so it's not them I'm worried about! But I know nothing about babies. I've never even held one since I was a child. Sad, huh!?? :dohh:

So I guess I am looking for any tips more from the baby side of things on how to make this adjustment easier for us and our four dogs. Our dogs are very well socialized, highly trained, and etc. But my entire life has always revolved around dogs- showing, breeding, rescue, training... I have no doubt they will still always be a huge priority, but of course a baby is going to take a lot of my time!

Any other major dog lovers have any words of wisdom? I do use positive training and I feel fairly confident I can teach my dogs pretty quickly that the baby is a wonderful thing. They are all good with kids.

I will be the crazy lady walking four dogs and pushing around a baby carriage! LOL but at least my dogs are all super well trained!

I have nightmares though about dragging a baby around a dog show all day!!

If it matters, I am hoping for a home birth, which will somewhat avoid that entire suddenly coming home from the hospital to a houseful of frantic dogs who have missed their care taker. I want my dogs with me during labor and everything as they are my greatest comfort and source of strength in life.

I am not a dog owner, but work at a major zoo and so have access to some amazing animal keepers/trainers. These are some things I've gleaned over several years of working there.
Just as you would take care when introducing new animals to each other for the first time, I would use these precautions with baby and dogs:
1) Very slow, restricted intro to baby's smell, before access to baby. Use baby's things to let pups figure out the newcomer and praise them lots while they are having their sniff.
2) Establish clear rules about baby things and pup access. For instance, do you need to set off-limits territory for baby's room? Start doing it now.
3) Masses of praise and love for pups when baby does arrive - if possible, as much as you've always given them. Pets can behave like older, jealous children when a new baby arrives. Making time for them will probably nip a lot of potential misbehaviours in the bud. Work with your partner to plan pup time.
4) This is your pack. You are the alpha in your dogs' eyes. What behaviours do you already have with them to help establish boundaries?
Also, consider using a baby carrier at first when on walks. This puts baby up high on your body (also associates baby as your rank and under your protection), and unlike a stroller, your dogs won't jump up there in excitement (I assume you control that behaviour if they are super well-trained! :))
Hope some of that helps!
I have two very spoiled cats who are going to need help with a baby adjustment, too!
Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, my dogs never jump, and they all know "leave it" and such. I'm going to co sleep (NOT bed share, but have the baby in my room) and the dogs will still sleep in here (I'm in bed now on my laptop!)- and the one that sleeps in the bed with me will still do so. Those are all good ideas- I hope to move baby stuff in well before the big event so that the dogs can get used to that. I also want to take them round to playgrounds a lot more and get them used to the sights, sounds, and scents of small kids. I'm worried, but mostly just because I am so so so clueless about babies! I don't know anything about them! I need baby school :)

Hey!
I know how worried you are. i have a 5 month old staffy she is my other baby! she sleeps on the bed with me and OH! when ever i bought the baby something i would bring it home and show her and let her sniff it out. she loves teddies but knows she is only allowed the her teddies not the babies! she stays away from everything to do with the baby. plus i let her play with other kids and she loves them and babies!!

They will do fine. and they will protect the baby so much you will be surprised xx

Our two dogs used to sleep in our room as we don't really have landing space but for about a month now we've been getting them used to sleeping outside. There won't be space for both of them and the cot in our room in the early months. Other than that we've not really done anything to prepare them. They have met all my nephews when they are babies and there is no problem. They recognise they are part of our family too. I am sure that our dogs will soon learn that the baby is part of the pack and needs looking out for too. Plus one of the dogs is super clever so I intend to use her as a baby monitor! lol

That's a thought! I have trained dogs for a variety of tasks, and I bet I could train my particularly willing and food motivated puppy to bring me nappies and stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->