"And how old is Thomas? 18 months?"

minties

Complete
Reaction score
Asked by a nurse today (Sophie had immunisations done). Feeling a bit upset for Thomas, he's not all that far off 2.5! Does she think he's too stupid to pass for his actual age? Or puny? He's not small, he used to be but he's 15kg and 90cm so a decent size now.

So stupid, now all I can think is that people see him as slow or something. He talks in sentences, asks questions, can dress and undress himself, and understands concepts like joking/tricking, hiding, pretend play etc etc.

I must be overly sensitive I think, I felt like crying oh dear!

dont worry hon she was obviously just thick. he is a good size and hitting his milestones so theres no need to worry x

Wouldn't worry about it, they see such a wide range of kids I'm surprised they're stupid enough to mention ages without checking. My son has just turned 3, is 15kgs and 98cm, not a huge difference from yours, I was asked by a teacher a few weeks before his birthday if he'd be starting school after the holidays, when I pointed out his age she said it was just because he was so big - in front of him! Adults, many in authority positions, don't seem to realise the effect their comments can have.

I've also just noticed that you're in New Zealand. My brother was born there, a long time ago, even then my mum says all the health care professionals where agast at 'how small' he was, she always had trouble finding clothes for him. They were so used to seeing huge babies and he wasn't.

I sort of get the same, because Isobelle is so big/tall at around 16kg and 91st centile for height. When people try and talk to her & ask questions they look at me as if shes got a disability or something but I just smile and say she's only just 2 :-D

A woman in a bakery said to me yesterday 'wow I bet you know your mummy knows she's carrying you' ...... humph.....

X

People are stupid. Just smile and move on!

I've had the whole range from "wow, isn't she small for her age" to "my goodness she's a big girl". I have the opposite reaction from folk than NewMummy, Abby is on the small side but is way ahead with speech and stuff so people would talk to her as if she was 2 and she would look at them like she was nuts and speak to them like a more grown up child. The look is always priceless!

Having experienced a preemie sized baby, a child in a wheelchair who can actually communicate with others and had any number of badly thought out comments, I always go back to "people are stupid, just smile and move on"

I should add, I have noooooo idea about ages of children and can never guess how old they are.

I'm sure she said it off the cuff and didn't mean to suggest anything mean. I see lots of small children - doesn't mean I can automatically tell exactly how old each one of them is! In addition, lots of children progress at different rates anyway. Everyone thinks Eleanor is older than she is as she talks in sentences and can sing whole verses of nursery rhymes. I really wouldn't let it bother you and I'm sure the nurse didn't mean in any way to suggest that he is puny or stupid.

I have same problem my lb at 18 months was 15kg and 92cm. So people were like why cant your 3yr old do x, y or z. Umm his 1.

Why cant you keep your opinions to yourself - bitch :wacko: :haha:

I really wouldn't worry about it. People say silly things!

Tom is nearly 3 1/2, weighs 13kg and is about 96cm so small for his age. I constantly get people saying 'gosh he's tall, isn't he'....ermm no he isn't! His best friend at nursery is now nearly 10cm taller only 1 month older!

Like others said- she obviously was off on his age- I would worry hun. I do think people really do not know tbh. People tend to think my LO is much younger too- although she is 18mos- they make comments like "she's so little to be running around!"- and she's not that short or little- just on the lower end of the scale. Everyone tends to compare to what they know personally- my besties daughter is off the charts for her age- so people think she's much older- while my other friends was under the charts little. Kids range- just like adults do!

Your LO is just fine- you know that- so try your best to fluff off any comments. My last appt with LO the doc (who wasn't her usual doctor as they messed up my appt and had to give me who was avail)- got me worried my LO wasn't talking enough. But I KNOW she is just fine and saying more words that others and less than some... we just can't compare as our LO's are perfect and unique within themselves! Hugs :hugs:

Some children just have a baby face I think...
A woman in a shop the other day motioned to "How well behaved" and "How far ahead he was for his age" she didn't believe me when I said he was 2.5 and that I jokingly said "Nah not really, he's 2.5 he knows what he's doing =P" She kept up her initial comment which was nice cause he IS a good boy - but did say she didn't realize he was older than 2 XD

Whereas my friends (who we met only last year) always forget that Zane is nearly a year younger than most of the children we know. When he turned 2 in December and I said it was his Birthday they all thought he was turning 3.

Also bear in mind, some people "forget" how small an 18month old really is compared to 2.5. & Your LO is probably more quiet in public than at home etc.

I shouldn't worry - just think of how much praise he must get it he's as good as that and people think he's only little XD

I would not take it too personally, some people just stink at telling ages. I have worked with babies to preschoolers so can pinpoint age pretty well with that group but between 5-12 years old I just take a stab in the dark. :haha:

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm absolutely terrible at guessing ages.

Have a look at my tickers before I tell you this story...

I was at a stay and play group a few weeks ago with my two and was chatting to one of the ladies running it - so she is around children all day every day with it being a childrens centre - and noticed the bump and said "oh! So youre gonna have 3 under... 5?" I just blinked at her. I was like, how old do you think my kids are?? My daughter is a normal just turned two yr old and my son is on 0.4th centile at almost 1. I just said uhhh no, 3 under 2 1/2...

Some people are just THAT stupid.

Xxx

Asked by a nurse today (Sophie had immunisations done). Feeling a bit upset for Thomas, he's not all that far off 2.5! Does she think he's too stupid to pass for his actual age? Or puny? He's not small, he used to be but he's 15kg and 90cm so a decent size now.

So stupid, now all I can think is that people see him as slow or something. He talks in sentences, asks questions, can dress and undress himself, and understands concepts like joking/tricking, hiding, pretend play etc etc.

I must be overly sensitive I think, I felt like crying oh dear!

I get this all the freaking time and I just don't understand it, my son is taller than average and on the 91st centile for weight (he is also 15kg and 90 odd cm). A few months ago I had some random lady ask me how old my son was and when I said he was just under two she said 'oh he doesn't look it, he looks very small for his age' the thing is the lady was Pakistani and they tend to have far more petite kids themselves, her own kids who were about five were not much bigger than my son. Then we were out at a Chinese restaurant and the manageress asked 'how old is he? About 18 months?' this was a few weeks ago. Until recently he didn't speak well but now he does speak very well for his age, and he certainly doesn't look small for his age-my friend's daughter is over three and a half and weighs less than him and is about the same height. xx

:hugs: people can be so off on the size of kids its strange coming from a child nurse though!we were at oh's surf patrol today and one of the captains asked how old koby was (who was asleep sprawled out on my lap) and when I said 2.5 she said 2.5 HE'S AN ABSOLOUTE MONSTER!!!granted she doesn't have kids but oh and I have always been a little worried that he's not as big as he naturally should be due to genetics.hes average height but always been a little lighter.peoples quick judgements mean nothing really.i bet you get someone else who thinks he Is older than he is

I think its deffo a size thing. We had to prove LO was still 3 the other day when visiting a castle.......entry person was adamant she was over 5 as she is quite tall.

Some people are just born idiots. Ignore this woman, your son is perfectly fine.

We had the exact opposite! My LO was tall for her age and everyone expected her to behave in a much more mature way than she possibly could have done!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->