Anemia in 3rd Tri-iron question

Mjane84

Reaction score
I got a call today from my Doc that last weeks blood test shows me as anemic. They said to take slow fe once per day with my prenatal.

The problem is that from what I understand, you should take iron on an empty stomach for the best absorption. But I take my prenatals with food or else I get sick.

Has anyone else taken these, or have any advice?

It's fine to take them with food and provided its with the right type of foods, it may even aid absorption. You're going to get some conflicting info as to what are the best foods for iron absorption depending on the diet of the person writing about it but in general it's best to avoid taking iron with anything containing even moderate levels of calcium, tannins (found in tea, coffee rhubarb and spinach), phosphoric acid (cola), phytic acid (found in beans and pulses but if soaked and cooked very well this is lessened) and there is also a substance in eggs that stops iron absorption. Xx

Yup as long as you don't take it with calcium containing foods you're safe. I took mine last week on an empty stomach, without thinkin of course... Well I felt so nauseous it was like severe MS all over again. I will never make that mistake again! Usually take it at bed time after my peanut butter and toast, and my levels are doing ok now. Been on it for 4 weeks.

I take Slow FE as well along with my prenatal at night time. As long as you don't take it with dairy it should absorb just fine :)

I had terrible anemia with this baby and was told to take it with orange juice. Also had a big steak every day for the 1st week after he was born! It helped! :)

I was told not to take an iron supplement at the same time as prenatal. When i stopped doing that, my iron went from 10.7-12.8 in 4 weeks. Also, like PPs have said - don't take with dairy, it decreases absorption. And do take with something citrusy (like OJ or a fresh orange), it increases absorption

I was told to take my iron supplement at a different time as my prenatal. So since I take my prenatal in the evenings, I take my iron pill first thing when I get up. Some people get upset stomachs taking iron without food, but I haven't had any issues (except being hungry as I try to give it 1-2 hrs before eating!). I couldn't really do OJ as I've had so much heartburn, but I bought some frozen fruit bars that have a decent amount of vitamin C and on the mornings I've been especially hungry will eat one of those when I take it.

There's also been the occasional morning that I've gone ahead and ate breakfast, tried to wait about 2 hrs, took the iron, then tried to wait a while before I had lunch. That way I can eat whatever =) I've had zero issues with constipation... I know my iron has gone up as they haven't said anything else to me about it when I got tested again, but I keep forgetting to ask for the number!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->