Anemia made worse after iron

Kzd2014

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with anemia in pregnancy two weeks ago. I had dropped from 12 to a 9. I went on an B12/folic acid/iron prescription, but I kept feeling worse and worse. I feel so dizzy at work that it seems like I'll pass out if I stand longer than a few minutes! After two weeks on the meds, my number dropped to an 8. I now have to go to a hematologist - has anyone else ever had anemia or low hemoglobin NOT caused
By iron? They are exploring other options, and I don't even know what those could be! Or have any tips on dealing with the dizziness? How are things going?

I suffer from anemia, i had it before i got pregnant so its just gotten worse the further along I've got.

i was taking a over the counter multivitamin with iron but my midwife decided i needed something stronger and put me on 3 iron suplement tablets a day.
they made me nauseous and constipated so i asked for a change and got liquid iron instead which seems to be working much better.

as for dizzyness, I've had that throughout my pregnancy. Apparently it's a common problem, especially as you get further along, but if your really worried talk to your midwife, theres no such thing as a silly question :)
With my dizzyness i find sitting or lying down for a moment and getting some water usually helps, as does deep breathing ... xx

I'm also anaemic and had to take iron tablets 3 times a day. They didn't agree with me so I'm also now on liquid iron (spatone) instead. I take it at night in orange juice so if I do feel ill I sleep through it. I took the liquid iron once in the day and was sick/dizzy.

Iron supplements are notorious for making you feel sick and dizzy.

How much iron are you taking? Is it possible it's not enough? I became anemic after birth (for no obvious reason). My HB was 9, though it was probably lower than that at some point (on the finger prick test, which isn't especially accurate, it was a 6! which meant they recommended an immediate transfusion, that I declined).

Anyway, it's possible if the iron amounts you're taking aren't high enough, it's not doing all it could be. I was taking 200mg twice (maybe three times?) a day, plus using Spatone and taking 500mg of vitamin C at every meal. You might try doing this as well, adding in other iron sources (like Spatone and/or Floradix or Floravital liquid) in addition to the tablets, moving to a higher dose of iron if your dose is pretty low, and also taking vitamic C at every meal (it helps you absorb iron from your food). It's also possible to get something called Pernicious Anemia, which is related to a malabsorption of vitamin B12, but you're also taking B12 and I don't think it's usually related to pregnancy, so probably something you would have noticed before now.

Also, it just takes time for it to improve. I felt well enough to not pass out every time I stood up within a few days, but wasn't 100% for a few weeks. It could be you just need more time to increase your levels, especially if you're still on a low dose of iron and could use more. Personally, I would suffer through any misery now if you have to to get your levels up before birth. I felt horrible when I was anemic and it was difficult to take care of a new baby when I would pass out every time I tried to go to the loo. It also caused be a lot of issues with milk supply because my body just wasn't working right.

Thanks for such a helpful response! I need to double check the dose on the prescription, but after my last low count my doctor did tell me to double my dosage. I am eating iron-rich foods and bumping up the vitamin C, also have tried to ingest less calcium around meals and save it forgot he occasional ice cream before bed ;)

I'm just ready to not feel like I'm going to pass out l the time, but it sounds like there be hope beyond transfusions!

It sounds like you need intravenous iron - it's not uncommon for some women not to respond to oral iron supplementation, and those women should be considered for IV iron treatment, which works rapidly and really well - and would be my preference to receiving a transfusion! Hopefully the haematologist will recommend that for you.

Sorry you are doing poorly, but I'm glad to see this thread. I kind of demanded an iron check at my last appointment. Today I asked for my results and the doc pulled them up. I could clearly see the numbers were in a red box made to jump out at you, and were below the normal range indicated. She said pregnancy ranges are lower than regular, so they don't see a problem unless the count it below 10, and I was at 10.1 two weeks ago, so I'm still within range. Madness!

I picked up some Slow FE after talking to a nurse about that option to address my fatigue, inability to sleep more than 3-4 hours most nights, bruises, trouble walking and talking and hopelessness at stairs. I'm only at 28 weeks so still have a ways to go. Hoping that I feel some positive effects soon based on the experiences you all shared here. Thank you for the hope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->