Another belly button thread

Sparky0207

Mummy to 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
but this time its about the babies!

Does the way the cord is cut have any influence on weather baby will have an innie or outtie? If not, what determines it?

Have a big phobia of outties, I cant even look at mine at the mo! What if Lucy has one, will I have to conquer my fear? :wacko:

Hmmm...dunno. I think maybe it's just how the baby heals rather than how it's cut. Or maybe it's genetic?

i found this hun

Ah, one of the great mysteries of life! Searches on "belly button" and related phrases revealed that no one knows for sure why some people have a concave belly button while others have one that sticks out. Health and parenting web sites agree that most people have "innies" and only about 10% of the population has "outies." But neither button style has any effect on health.
The belly button is a tangible reminder that we were all intimately connected to our mothers at one time. Oxygen and nutrients travel from mom to baby through the umbilical cord, and when the baby is born, this cord is clamped off and cut. That leaves a tiny stump that dries up and falls off a few weeks after birth and usually leaves a concave scar we call a belly or tummy button. Sometimes, the scar pokes out from the stomach, resulting in an "outie." As numerous sources including BBC Health and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota report, whether you end up with an innie or an outie is random.

Nikon MicroscopyU suggests that extra skin left from the umbilical cord may cause the protrusion of an outie, and the Queensland Science Teachers Network says the difference between innies and outies is due to where the umbilical cord is cut. But these are the only sources we found that offered such explanations. A doctor quoted in one Salon column notes that the umbilical cord is always clamped several inches away from the navel and doesn't affect innie or outie status.

A more popular theory about outies is that they are caused by umbilical hernias. This condition is due to a small circular defect in the baby's abdominal wall that can make the belly button protrude. ParentSoup estimates that 10% to 30% of babies are born with umbilical hernias, but most heal as the abdominal muscles grow during a baby's first few years. However, American Baby says not to confuse an umbilical hernia with an outie belly button. A hernia expands when the baby cries or strains, but an outie doesn't. Also, the Cleveland Clinic's picture of an umbilical hernia looks a lot more protuberant than a standard outie.

With low-rise pants and cropped tops all the rage, belly buttons have been getting a lot of media attention. People who are unhappy with their outies are even having plastic surgery. But we say if you have an outie, flaunt it.

Great bit of info kerryanne, thanks! So, no one really knows! lol

xx

nope but as it said only 10% of the people will get a outtie so hopefully ur girl will not be one of those 10%

It can't be connected to the way it is clamped coz the stump which has been clamped drops off anyway :dohh:

Belly buttons arent that scary and im sure you would soon conquer your fear if you had to clean your baby's belly button...good luck

bleugh, outties are horrid

(no offense if you guys have one!)

Belly buttons arent that scary and im sure you would soon conquer your fear if you had to clean your baby's belly button...good luck

Belly buttons are very scary! But I'm only really afraid of my own so hopefully won't be too freaked out by the cord stump...

Belly buttons are very scary! But I'm only really afraid of my own so hopefully won't be too freaked out by the cord stump...

Sorry if anyone was offended...i guess its hard to understand if you dont have the fear yourself...however i dont think ive really got any fears!

...yeah, until it goes manky brown and starts dropping off! Eugh!!! I'm not a belly button fan either. *shudders*

Sorry if anyone was offended...i guess its hard to understand if you dont have the fear yourself...however i dont think ive really got any fears!

lol Not offended at all! Only by my belly button! :rofl:

If anyone touches my hubby's belly button he screams like a girl:rofl:.

Baby Toby was stood on hubby's tummy and his toe went inside hubby's bellybutton, I thought hubby was gonna throw Toby across the room when he screamed:dohh:

If anyone touches my hubby's belly button he screams like a girl:rofl:.

Baby Toby was stood on hubby's tummy and his toe went inside hubby's bellybutton, I thought hubby was gonna throw Toby across the room when he screamed:dohh:

OMG!! That would make me vomit!

My little girl has an 'outie'. I am used to it now, but found it strange at first!!

I only realised not long ago that the cord and clamp thing stay on for a while, I thought it dropped off straight away! :dohh:

Please have an innie Lucy, mummy is scared! lol Im sure I will get over this silly phobia thing if I have to but urgh, really dont like them! Again no offence to anyone with an outtie :D

My baby's cord stumps have all dropped off between 5-11 days....the 5 day one was quite quick and was probably coz she was under the uv lamp for jaundice so the stump dried out faster

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->