Another fricken bladder infection

tallybee

DS '04, DD '06, DD '15
Reaction score
Grr. I seem to get these a lot! I woke up last night thinking I was about to wet myself, and when I went to the loo I realised how stingingly bad it was. Luckily I have some antibiotics left from last time (naughty I know but I'm really glad I have as waiting until office hours for a prescription would be painful :wacko:) and some strong painkillers...

I bloody hate bladder infections. Particularly ones that come on as I am entering my fertile window, making :sex: uncomfortable.

Does anyone get these a lot? I mean I have had 3 or 4 in the last 12 months. Surely that's not right...

Women have a very short urethra so they are more common.

Do you take probiotics during and after a course of antibiotics?

I take probiotics half way between doses of antibiotics and once a day for 2 weeks post antibiotics to keep the healthy bacteria, yeast etc in check in my gut\lower intestine to help protect me from them.

I get probiotics from the fridge at the health food store - they'll die if left on the shelf. You can also eat yogurt with live active cultures.

Do you drink cranberry juice?

It's great for bladder\kidney health. I hate the taste of the red so I get white and it's not as strong tasting.

Other things I've changed

I no longer wash with soap in the area just lots of water, no longer use tampons, shower soon after sex, I decline cathader urine samples and pee in a cup - I swear every time I have one I end up with a UTI or a lovely UT bladder\kidney infection combo.

Drink lots of water - nearly nobody drinks enough

don't use bubble bath, showers are better than baths

wear underwear that can breath. Thankfully Victoria Secrets makes really cute 100% cotton underwear look nice. If you can't make sure the crotch area at least is cotton only and not just cotton lined.

I used to get them ALL THE TIME and after having DD and attempting to pump care for a newborn and 2 year old and have a hell of an infection I decided I had to change and I have not had one since.

Thanks for the reply hon.

I do eat a lot of live yogurt, drink a lot of water, and wear cotton underwear. I do love a bath though - I tend to use more essential oils than bubbles though, do you think oils are ok? I NEVER actually wash 'in there'. Just around the actual outer areas that are exposed anyway iykwim?

I have never been offered a catheter sample :wacko: that sounds horrid!

TBH I have only drunk cranberry juice of any kind when I have felt the sensation coming on and have to wait for a Dr appt, as I really have to force it down - I can't stand it! The sachets of cranberry stuff are horrid too :(

Anyway thanks for the tips - it's really encouraging to hear that you've gotten rid of the recurrence using these lifestyle things.

:flower:

White cranberry juice or strawberry white cranberry juice is good - do you have Ocean Spray there - that's the brand I get. I drink the juice daily if I run out within 2-3 days I end up having those tell tale pains on my sides and I all of a sudden have to pee.

They have Cranberry pills for those who can't drink the juice.

I do not use anything but water on the entire area because it can easily go up the urethra. If I take a bath I stand up to wash and rinse and get out and don't sit in it.

Ah ok I will look out for cranberry pills, I haven't seen them before! Yea we have ocean spray here but I have only seen the red cranberry juice. I'll have to look out for the other sorts!

I used to suffer from chronic bladder infections and they are awful. You feel like you need to pee the whole time and then only a few drops come out and it hurts so bad to go. Mine were brought on by stress and anxiety because I started getting treatment for my GAD and OCD and the bladder infections just disappeared after years of constant torment. I used to find nothing really helped except drinking loads to flush it out and taking some paracetamol. Another good tip is to make sure you wipe front to back after peeing and not take too much time in the bath as the water helps the bacteria swim higher.

ive had a few bladder infections but dont really suffer from them, and as the girls have already said, i was advised to drink loads and loads of water and also cranberry juice to help prevent getting one.

also i completely advice only washing with water, which is safe inside and out, but soaps really mess with your body's natural ph

and one more little thing, try to make sure you pee before and after sex, this is advised to help prevent bladder infections. hope this helps xx

i would bet money that the oils are causing it if you do it often. if i wash even just the outside with anything i get either bladder or yeast infection. the cranberry helps alot! i didnt get any results with the pills though, only actually drinking it. but buying cran grape, cran apple, cran anything works as long as i do a glass every single day. also wiping off with a clean damp cloth followed by a dry cloth after :sex: seems to help keep them at bay, and peeing as soon as i need to...i had 13 last year! it was aweful! i swear i spend 6 solid months crying with bladder pain.

I was on antibiotics for a whole year trying to clear up my bladder infections. I feel your pain.
The tip about peeing straight after sex is a good one as it washes out unwanted unfriendlies but maybe not such a good idea if you're TTC because you wouldn't be given the little sailors a fair go. :blush:

thats what soft cups are for :flower: insert, then go pee...keeps the swimmers in, the infections out! :thumbsup:

On ebay etc I think. Am I right in believing they are intended to be for AF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->