Anterior Placentas, anyone?

MoonLove

Reaction score
I have to have a growth scan in 7 weeks time to assess if my placenta is low lying. It was seen to be anterior (at the front wall) on my 20 week scan, but it wasn't low down. The doctor said they usually, and he's hopeful, that it will grow upwards, towards my chest, as baby grows.

There's no way of knowing whether it will grow upwards or whether it'll go downwards and in the way of baby being born vaginally. I just wondered if anyone here has an anterior placenta and if it has caused any troubles or concerns in terms of hopes for a vaginal labour.

I am deciding between an elective c-sec (my first birth being an emerg c-sec) and a VBAC. I have to wait to see what the placenta is doing before i can make the decision, which is madly frustrating, but if anyone has any positive experiences with their anterior placentas, i'd love to hear them!

Where do you live? I've never heard of them ordering a scan to check if your placenta is low lying just because it's anterior...? It must be slightly low for them to be worrying, or maybe because of your history and there being potential for a cesarean they want to be aware?

I have got an anterior placenta for the second time out of my 3 pregnancies and I know exactly where it is as the part of my bump is hard and tight. Also, when I use a doppler, or the midwife does, you can hear it so can find it quite easily. Mine was about middle of my uterus and is now higher up, I'd say in the top third of my bump.

Fingers crossed yours plays ball x

Where do you live? I've never heard of them ordering a scan to check if your placenta is low lying just because it's anterior...? It must be slightly low for them to be worrying, or maybe because of your history and there being potential for a cesarean they want to be aware?

I have got an anterior placenta for the second time out of my 3 pregnancies and I know exactly where it is as the part of my bump is hard and tight. Also, when I use a doppler, or the midwife does, you can hear it so can find it quite easily. Mine was about middle of my uterus and is now higher up, I'd say in the top third of my bump.

Fingers crossed yours plays ball x

I agree an anterior placenta alone is not a problem or reason for a rescan .

I had anterior placenta with my 2nd had no issues at all.

I have an anterior placenta and it's never become a problem during my pregnancy. My midwife told me it's perfectly normal to have an anterior placenta and plenty woman have them, it's no problem :)

I had an anterior placenta with my first. It gave me no trouble with a vaginal birth.
I'm sure the reason they are scanning you again is due to the placenta being low lying (ie close to the opening of the cervix). If the placenta is too close to the cervix it would absolutely be a problem for a vaginal delivery as it could start to separate from the uterus as your cervix dilates. If it doesn't move they would do a repeat c-section for you. However, they are absolutely right. Most do grow up and away from the cervix as your uterus gets bigger and you should be able to have your VBAC.

I've had one in the last 2 pregnancies also & was told the same as the above ladies, hopefully it won't be a problem for you :flower:

I had an anterior placenta with my first. It gave me no trouble with a vaginal birth.
I'm sure the reason they are scanning you again is due to the placenta being low lying (ie close to the opening of the cervix). If the placenta is too close to the cervix it would absolutely be a problem for a vaginal delivery as it could start to separate from the uterus as your cervix dilates. If it doesn't move they would do a repeat c-section for you. However, they are absolutely right. Most do grow up and away from the cervix as your uterus gets bigger and you should be able to have your VBAC.

The reason i am having another scan is because it is anterior and because of the likeliness of another c-section, they need to make sure it's not grown downward and in the way of where they would make the incision to get baby out. That is what my consultant said anyway!

The sonographer at 20 weeks told me the placenta is at the front, and on the notes it says 'Placenta Not Low Lying', so that's how i know it wasn't down too low at 20 weeks.

I will ask my midwife at my next appointment, when she listens to baby heartbeat, if she is able to detect where placenta has gone. I remember with my first pregnancy the midwife used to say 'that sound is the rushing of the placenta' so maybe i can have some idea before the scan next year! :thumbup:

The reason i am having another scan is because it is anterior and because of the likeliness of another c-section, they need to make sure it's not grown downward and in the way of where they would make the incision to get baby out. That is what my consultant said anyway!

The sonographer at 20 weeks told me the placenta is at the front, and on the notes it says 'Placenta Not Low Lying', so that's how i know it wasn't down too low at 20 weeks.

I will ask my midwife at my next appointment, when she listens to baby heartbeat, if she is able to detect where placenta has gone. I remember with my first pregnancy the midwife used to say 'that sound is the rushing of the placenta' so maybe i can have some idea before the scan next year! :thumbup:

Gotcha! That totally makes sense. I sure hope it does move up/over/out of the way for you. It's so hard to be patient and wait until the next appt/scan to see if the placenta is moving!!

Gotcha! That totally makes sense. I sure hope it does move up/over/out of the way for you. It's so hard to be patient and wait until the next appt/scan to see if the placenta is moving!!

50 days and counting to the scan and consultation :haha:! Considering how nerve wracking the very idea of attempting a VBAC is for me, the placenta is the last thing i want to worry about! :haha:

I have an anterior placenta and at my 20week scan it was low lying and partially covering my cervix. I had a growth scan at 28 weeks and it had moved up out of the way. I was also told most of the time the placenta moves up.

I have an anterior placenta and had the same written on my notes, 'anterior, not low' was what was put on mine. I've had growth scans since and no one has ever mentioned it being an issue, so I presume it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->