Antibiotics during first trimester?!

KMCN

Reaction score
I am 6 weeks pregnant and just found out I have a UTI. The doctor prescribed me antibiotics (augmentin, class B medication), and I'm SCARED TO DEATH to take anything during pregnancy! It makes me soooo nervous to take anything, especially during the first trimester, when the heart and organs are developing. I go for an ultrasound to see the heartbeat next week, and I keep imaging not seeing a heartbeat, or something wrong. I'm totally flipping out and have been crying all day about this. Has anybody else taken augmentin, or other antibiotics and have everything been fine??? I guess I just need some reassurance! Thank you!

I had to take antibiotics during the first trimester due to a UTI too and am now 28+3, the dose was slightly lower and shorter than the normal dosage and I was nervous too so you aren't alone in feeling that way. Also the doctor I saw said normally she would just leave it to clear itself up but as I was pregnant it was best to be thorough and check if I did have one (as my initial dip test said I was fine but had my urine sent off for lab tests) so I assume having a UTI is worse than getting it treated. I hope it clears up soon x

Never heard of that drug, the normal one to use is Amoxicillin?

Either way, a UTI can be fatal to baby and very dangerous for Mum IF not treated. So I promise you the benefits far outweight any risks.

Hope you feel better soon.

If you are concerned please call and talk to the doctor before making a decision. Like the previous poster said, you do not want the infection to do worse harm than a potential unknown harm of just taking "something".

yeah i was told i had a uti the same day i was told i was pregnant. been given antibiotics quite a few times during this pregnancy for it. if a doctor prescribes it, its fine. not taking them can make you even more sick and in turn your baby.

I was given tetracycline or something in my last pregnancy for UTI's. I say an untreated infection is probably worse than the antibiotic.

You can ask the pharmacist if it's okay and if you don't like it, ask for something safe and in the future take preventative steps to avoid them in the future, if possible.

I had a serious food & water-borne infection before I knew I was pregnant.. DS and I were pooping blood for days. By the time I got the stupid prescription antibiotic (which was the WRONG kind) my symptoms were already gone and I decided not to take it.

I'd try to get a more familiar antibiotic if you aren't comfortable with what your OB/MW prescribe :thumbup:

I was prescribed amoxicillin yesterday for a UTI, if you have an infection you need to treat it Hun x

i, too, had to take antibiotics when pregnant - i actually had them while on BC and then while i was pregnant (but didn't know it yet). my son was and is very healthy :) i will say though, that his milk teeth have a slight yellow line on them all the way around - both his dentist and pediatrician have said this is from the antibiotics but that it has no effect on his teeth health.

I had a yeast infection and took anti biotics but I had to wait until my second tri. But a yeast infection is a lot less serious than a uti. I don't think your doctor would give you something unsafe knowing the risks. Just last week I had a tooth pulled and I was given Hydrocodone and Amox.

I had amoxicillin when approx 10 weeks pregnant with DS as I had a chest infection. I also have asthma so they weigh up the TINY chance of side effects ( which will usually only affect you) with the disastrous consequences of a worsening infection. You will be fine xxx

I had to take some in the first tri with my son and apart from having iugr he was perfectly healthy. the iugr was unrelated though. they said it was because I am small to why he was.

I am only just pregnant but I took both amoxicillin (tooth infection) and clyndamicin (bacterial vaginosis) this cycle - the latter in my 2ww until yesterday and both were safe for TTC

I also had a UTI at 6 weeks and had to take antibiotics. I'll spare you the very unlucky (and unlikely!) incident afterwards which involved me having a lousy allergic reaction but I am happy to report that my baby was perfectly fine (even with the reaction).

To avoid future UTI's as they can be quite prevalent during pregnancy I highly recommend doing what I did for the following 8 months: drinks LOTS of water. I always had a glass of water close by or in my hand. My family and friends might have laughed at the amount of water I drank but I didn't get any more UTI's and it's good for you :)

I had to have antibiotics in my first pregnancy, during second tri. I had a chest infection, throat infection, ear infection and uti all at once! I think i had amoxycylin (sp) but not 100%. An untreated infection can be dangerous to baby - and you - so it's best to treat it. The main thing is getting reassurance that the treatment is the safest one.

There are safe antibiotics and your doctor should have selected a safe one. Personally I don't know if augmentin is ok in pregnancy, I've definitely had it when not pregnant, but I'd guess it's ok if the doctor has prescribed. If you're concerned speak to your doctor (pharmacist will probably just tell you to ask your doctor anyway given my experiences). The packaging on pretty much all medication says if you're pregnant ask your doctor or pharmacist before taking - this is because it's safer to state this even when a medicine is usually considered ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->