Any Americans who have moved to Ireland?

R

robinator

DH and I are considering a job opportunity in the Dublin area; nothing is set in stone yet as it is all in the preliminary stages....

But I was wondering what challenges you faced? Such as integrating into the NHS, learning to drive opposite, school systems, smaller homes (?), differences in products offered in grocery stores, etc. Anything you can think of! Also, was anything surprisingly easy to get used to?

I know this isnt the same, but my DH moved to England a couple of years ago and the NHS was not a problem. At the GP's all he had to do was register and the first time he used a hospital, he had to prove his immigration status gave him access to the NHS which was no problem. They still treated him, he just had to email a scanned copy of his visa in to them so that they wouldnt send a bill.

Now we live in the US and im the foreign one. Driving on the other side of the road (DH doesnt drive) for me has been easy after a couple of times. The first few times i went on the road i had a huuuge urge to go on the wrong side but that doesnt happen any more.
I dont think i could live in UK housing again.. There are no closets and all of the houses are moldy! Food is something to get used to really. Its not something i cant cope with but there are a couple of things i miss.

I have to say though, the American work environment has been sooo much different to me. People are so much more friendly in the US.

Schools i really dont know having only been to a UK school and DD hasnt been to any yet.

Just to let you know the NHS is in the uk, not here in Ireland, you can either have private insurance or pay as you go, but it is heavily subsidised (e.g. day operations cost €75 and when pregnant it's free)

You will find the houses smaller, it does depend on where you are planning on living, I'm quite rural and lots of people have quite a bit of land and build a big house, you will definitely find the roads smaller!!! I grew up in England, and I've lived over here for 8 yrs and I'm only now used to how bad/narrow/dirt track like most of the roads are, oh and the cars are smaller too

At the mo I really like the schooling over here, (compared to uk) they start school a little later, shorter days

There is an American lady who moved over here, I can't remember her name, but I see her lots in the breastfeeding section xx

You just wanna move closer to us UKer's on B&B :haha: My brother lives in Ireland atm, it's a beautiful place x

You're right! I want to structure my entire life around people I only know from an online forum :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->