Any BLW feed/fed purees?

redpoppy

Reaction score
I'm not really following any school with the weaning I'm just going to wait till 6 months and see what happens.

But wondering if anyone feeds their babies purees but non spoonfed? :shrug: Like letting baby play with some?

In our culture we traditionally eat with our hands so was wondering if anyone had tried this.

Thanks for your replies. :flower:

Well we are doing BLW but if something is like a puree anyway, we give that to Leyla too. She had mashed potato and ate it with her hands the other day... it went everywhere!!! She really enjoyed it though. I also have some 'baby muesli', which I thought would just be muesli with no sugar or salt but it turned out to be mostly pureed with a few bits of oats in it. Rather than throw it away, I've been giving her that on a spoon. I normally hold the spoon for her at the start - I just hold it in front of her and she lunges for it if she wants it, then towards the end I put a bit on the spoon for her and she takes the spoon herself. If she wants to dip her hands in it, I let her too.

With traditional weaning, I think the purees are quite runny to start with, I might be wrong though. I wouldn't try letting LO eat those with their hands, they just wouldn't be able to get much! You could try thicker purees that would stick to their fingers though, or giving something like bread or vegetable sticks to dip into the puree. Leyla actually seems to prefer to eat them off a spoon though, whether I'm holding it or she is. I suppose at some point she will be exposed to adults eating with hands as it's what OH's family do, but we don't tend to have that type of food at home so she hasn't seen it much yet. I guess when she does see it, she'll learn to eat that too but it will probably mostly be solids.

Sorry if that was rambly and not much help!

I have never and will never puree food that we wouldnt have pureed for us to eat IYSWIM!
However I also dont go in for the preloaded spoon stuff, I figure they either can use a spoon or they cant and til they can fingers are fine....but thats just me, I have no idea whether thats "correct" in the eyes of BLW or not :rofl:

Noah likes spoons he grabs it and shoves it in. I dont puree things but slightly cook some things more.

we're the same as Rachel_C, if it's soft and mushy when we eat it that's how Adam gets it, like soup, yogurt, mashed potato, mashed swede, etc. I have never pureed anything. he takes a preloaded spoon from us or eats with his hands - I make porridge (normal oats) up to be pretty thick when it's cool so he can pick up fairly big blobs of it and shove it in. :lol:

Like the others have said, I think purees would be too runny to eat with hands, it'd need to be mashed food I think :shrug:

Aisling eats things like mashed potato with her hands and manages fine but I don't think she could have at first, it was moreso fingers of food that she found easier then.

I also do the preloaded spoon because I think things like yoghurt are just too runny to be able to eat with hands, she'd get hardly any in her mouth! Gill Rapley (BLW expert) says preloaded spoon is absolutely fine so I'm going with that :D

I do think sometimes that Leyla likes the spoon more than the food on it - she LOVES chewing spoons, whether it's a wooden cooking spoon, a plastic serving spoon or a baby spoon!

i'm not sure if i'm qualified to answer this as i'm not strictly BLW - i do spoon feed purees.. because sam's tummy is like a 9 month olds, as he has been here for 9 months, but his motor skills and co-ordination are like a 6 month olds because he was early.. so we have to fill that gap somehow to meet his needs. so sam gets a split each meal time, i give him puree on a spoon (although nearly everyday it is things we'd normally eat as musha anyway, we only puree things sometimes - like his roast dinner lol, nom), and he also gets to take/eat/play with any other food we/he eats with his hands, that he can steal from our plates etc. like last night, we put some of our dinner in his dish, split it in two, we pureed one half, and left the other half as we'd eat it. he protested though that he only had small bits of chicken and nicked a grab chunk of chicken off my plate and was delighted with it - and ate far more of it than i ever expected! lol. so yeah. we just take each meal as it comes to give sam the most enjoyment and nourishment.

we did BLW but we used purees too, usually just for breakfast (he would have porrige) although he would sometimes have a jar for lunch if we were out and about. We always gave him a spoon and within about 3 days of starting to have food (almost 7 months old) he was actually spoon feeding himself from a bowl (with a little help with loading the spoon, of course, but if left to his own devices he would manage)! i dont think BLW necessarily means you *have* to use finger foods all the time. the point is, they learn to feed themselves and they learn to take only what they need, rather than having it shovelled in.

I'm not going to be too strict with not feeding her. As I said, in our culture we eat with our hands and mums feed their babies with their hands. To this day, nothing tastes as good as a bite of food made up by my mum from her hands. :blush:

But I'm just going to mix and match and see what feels right. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->