• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Any bottles bigger than 9oz?

Rcx

Reaction score
Hi,

My DS takes 4 x 8oz bottles per day (sleeps right through the night) but he has started completely draining an 8oz bottle so going to try him on 9oz as of tomorrow. He is only 11 weeks old so I'm sure between now and the recommended 26 weeks before weaning he'll will go over taking 9oz in a feed. Are there any bottles bigger? I have the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles.
Has anyone had to end up using 2 bottles per feed? This seems like a a total pain! Also, would it be safe to use the same bottle immediately after? Just top it up with say another few oz or should I use a completely new bottle? Just thinking for ease of having to sterilise another bottle and for out and about etc.

Also, does anyone have any advice on if it is ok for my son to be taking so much milk and anything I could do to help? I am going to speak to my HV about early weaning but so nervous to do this as it's not recommended now.

Thanks in advance!

Early weaning won't help as the type of food that early puree foods are, are basically empty fillers and won't off the nutrients he should be getting. Have you thought about making the feeds closer together rather than giving so much at once? 4 feeds in 24 hours doesn't seem enough to me.
It may be that he doesn't take on any more volume than he does currently.
I have no idea about using the same vs fresh bottle I'm afraid.
xx

wow thats alot of milk for a 11 week old lol.
sometimes ill make Malakai a bottle and he will drain the lot still sucking the empty bottle, i then use the boiling water from kettle to rinse the bottle and make another. and hes fine. but usually by then he decides he doesn't want another anyway lol.
i cant help you on what to do to lower the amount he takes i guess thats just up to him, dont waste time buying hungry milk, my LB drank the same amount on it.

i was once told on here to try lower the amount he has, then try occupy him, i was also told to try offer water mid way as it could be that hes thirsty, i know people say FF babies get enough hydration from bottles but i don't think i agree in all honesty.

Advent and Mam have 330ml bottles ... so about 12oz

Ok thanks everyone!
I'm going to speak to my HV about the feeding, and maybe feed every 3 hours. I too was worried about only 4 bottles in 24 hours as he was prev on 6 but I cannot wake him during the night he will not take it! He just spits it all out or is sick. Such a minefield I just always second guess myself!

id attempt to feed more often through the day hun and see if that works.. then maybe he could get the amount he wants but not in such big amounts so you wouldnt need new bottles? xxx

That is a lot of formula! DS is drinking 5x6 oz a day of formula, I think you may want to try feeding every 3.5 hours.

Holy cow! DD is 14 weeks and takes about 4-5oz every 3-4 hours. She also sleeps through the night so she typically has 5 feeds a day. Only her morning feed shell eat 6-7oz. I think having the feeds closer together will help. Do you have a schedule or feed on demand? If you feed on demand and that's how much he eats at a time but goes longer before the next feed,that may be just how he likes it. I had to bump DD to 4oz by 2 weeks old and I thought by this time she would be eating more but she hasn't (besides the 6-7oz in the morning but I think she only eats like that for sleeping through the night).

Do you have smaller bottles? Maybe use the 9oz bottles and then if he seems to want more have like a 2-4oz bottle ready to go if needed.

I know he's such a big eater, I feed on demand but he is in a schedule of when he likes to eat anyway, so normally works out every 4 hours sometimes slightly less. Tbh I think he will still take the same amount of formula but in smaller quantities each time. I'm not overly concerned about him eating too much because he's never sick and is still only average sized for his age, guess he's just a hungry boy lol.
I will see how he goes because he normally doesn't want fed until roughly 4 hours but if he acts hungry before I just feed him early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->