Any Cloth Diapering Mamas?

Margerle

Reaction score
I'm looking into the option of using cloth diapers on LO, but I'm not sure where to start.

I wanted to with my first as well, but my mother was the caregiver while I worked, and that would not have gone over well with her, so I just kept DD in disposables.

I have heard/read various things about the benefits (not just environmental) to the childs health and ease of potty training later on for those kids who have been in cloth and was wondering what other mom's thought/learned?

I would appreciate ANY help :hugs:

i use reusable nappies for my son, theyre great, no extra hastle at all i just rinse them through with the shower then add them into the next load of laundry. easy peasy.

I'm a complete cloth addict, have used them with my daughter since she was a week old and still love them now. Likeyou I wanted to use them for mainly health reasons though the money saving was a big bonus too. I have never regraetted using them and this baby will be a cloth bum too (am so excited about getting the teeny nappies again).

Not sure what you wanted to know but just ask any questions, there are a few cloth users on here so between us we can help :)

i was just sat here thinking that i could pull all my smaller nappies out again :)
i cant wait!

Well to be quite frank, it's all a little overwhelming! (and I'm not normally one to be overwhelmed easily!):blush:

With that said, I've done some basic research and initially thought the pocket diapers (i.e. fuzzibunz) were the way to go. Easy, newest and greatest, etc.

But it seems like those types of diapers are very "body shape dependent" in other words, one brand fits completely different than another, and none are guaranteed to fit very well. Some moms just love them, some are not impressed. I've not found any moms that moderately like them... they either love them or hate them.

So upon further research, I think I've decided to use prefolds with covers. One can buy two or three days worth of prefolds for the same as a morning's worth of pocket diapers. And most moms have just a half dozen covers or so and reuse them until they get yucky.

I think the prefolds are more adaptable to baby, and getting a few new covers if sizes aren't working won't break the bank any more than a weeks worth of diapers would.

The doublers thing still has me a little baffled... fleece, hemp, cotton which one??? And overnight diapering, what's the scoop on that?

DD and I were talking about it the other day, she says "Mama why are you so worried about this stuff... it's just a poop catcher!":rofl:

That kinda put my research frenzy in perspective :dohh:

Anyway, I'd sure take whatever help/advice/information that anyone has to offer :)

i use pocket nappies and only pocket nappies, theyre great, never leak and theyre so simple to use :)

See I don't get on too well with pockets. So I use then shaped nappies with covers.

There are 3 basic types

1. All in ones - this group also includes all in twos and pockets. Basically these are the closest to dispos in that there is one thing to put on. The nappy contains the waterproof part, the absorbant inner etc. Pros are that they are easy to use, ideal for fast changes, cons are that they take so long to dry and tend to be the most expensive type. All in twos come apart for washing (the iner seperates from the waterproof outer) so the drying time is shorter, and pockets,you take out the inner stuffing and again it cuts down the drying time.

2. shaped nappies - this is a two part system comprising of an absorbant shaped nappy part which you fasten around baby then put a waterproofcover over the top. The pros are that these are fast drying (depending on the material) and easy to use. Cons are that they do require a seperate waterproof wrap. Probably the most leak proof of the types as there are two barriers for the wetnessto gothrough.

3.Prefolds - includes terries. Flat nappies that are folded and placed inside a waterproof wrap. Pros are these are the cheapest option, and I have foud myprefolds are used for nappies, wiping up spillages when out and have forgotten muslin cloth, as a make shift bib etc etc. Cons are that they do have to be folded and at first this can be fiddly, though you quickly pick it up.

Every mum has a different preference. I have all the types and like them all for different reasons. The best advice I ca give you is to see if there is an advisor in your area who can show you the different types, and don't just buy a whole load of one type.

I think doublers are what we call boosters, these are just thigs that you can boost your nappies with if you have a heavy wetter, or for longer time periods such as if you are going out. The differet materials are again personal preferece,bamboo and hemp are very absorbant but take a whileto dry. As for overnight diapering, this isn't somuch an issue for newborns but as your child gets older and sleepslonger you may find you need to boost more, or even use a seperate system. I myself used shaped during the day but at night I either use pockets that are stuffed with bamboo inserts, or I will use a shaped nappy with wool longies as this helps the moisture evaporate.

Excellent advice!

What are your favorite brands of 'shaped' diapers? Covers?

I'm going to be using cloth diapers. I will be using a diaper service though. I'm doing it for the environment and really no other reason.

:hissy:

Now Fuzzibunz and Bumgenius have NEW diapers... They look so easy and cute!

Damn... I especially like the idea of the one size for most of the diapering... and BumGenius has adjusted the model to make newborns fit in there easier... and they include a newborn sized insert along with a regular one for same cost of diaper.

Tezzy do you use the one size pockets or do you buy sized ones?

i use the sized nappies, i found the one size nappies too loose on either the waist or the legs, they just didnt fit properly.

i order my nappies from www.weenotions.com

I'm sorry to be a pest. But even though we're saving money by going to cloth, a couple hundred dollars to get started is still a lot of money...

When you say they didn't fit properly what do you think is the baby "body type" that would do the best in one sizers. In other words, do you believe they probably fit babies that are short and stocky better than long and lean babies?

My daughter was born 21 inches long, but 5.5 lbs 11 years ago. I imagine this babay will be similarly long but may not be as lean (DD#1 was born 3 weeks early). I BF and my babies tend to get very fat pretty quickly.

I suppose DD#2 will have to be in disposables for the first couple weeks while I try a 'sample' package of cloth diapers.

Thanks again for all your help!

yeah Rhys has always been tall and skinny, i found the one size nappies didnt fit him snuggly around his waist :)

we were pretty lucky as i discovered weenotions.com quite soon after Rhys was born and now theyre the only brand i buy

im planning on using clothe nappies too

im gonna get the bambino mio ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"