Any Disabled Parents?

LeanneE

Reaction score
im currently researching for a university project and need information on what daily tasks disbled parents find difficult whilst caring for their baby? any information is appreciated.

When the disability is mobility related:

Problems lifting/changing baby
Problems carrying baby or pushing a pushchair
How to manage a baby with one hand if you walk with a stick

Cooking can be dangerous around a baby too as if you are severely disabled (as defined by the DWP) you will not be able to cook a meal alone/unsupervised safely.

What care needs does the disabled parent have? This'll also be a factor.

I'm helping somebody fill in a DLA application at the moment, and the info is like 24 A4 pages of solid writing, just to describe how they do day to day activities. (I'd offer to send it to you, but it's not mind so I really can't).

If you don't actually have a set of questions or need actual statistics or anything, I would suggest, get a walking stick/crutches/or a pc chair with wheels/strap up an arm/blindfold yourself or something, get a doll and picture what how you would do things like changing a nappy etc.

To be honest, that'll probably be easier for your than getting an exact step by step description of those taks. If you don't have an idea, it's really hard for sometbody with a disability to explain exactly how they do things in a way you will be able to visualise.

Your uni might be able to help you by letting you see old study needs agreements with the names deleted or something. Maybe download a DLA application form so you know what kind of problems a disabled person might have day to day.

Hope this helps

I am so happy that there's a topic such as this! I am not a mother (WTT) but I am a woman living with Asperger's Syndrome. I always wonder about how other people with disabilities cope with parenthood. Obviously, it can be done... It's just HOW, as having a child seems stressful enough! And at least with autism, I sometimes worry about it being passed down to my own children, someday.

I'm a bipolar aspie with one 13 year old son, and a little one on the way. I'm happy to answer most questions (as long as they're not too invasive.) Let me know what exactly you're looking for.

I have degenerative disc disease, spinabiffida occulta and have lots of treatments relating to that.

I currently have a two year old and am happy to help you with what was difficult between pregnancy and 2 1/2.

I wont discuss this on the public part of the forum, but feel free to PM me.

We are ttc and I have epilepsy and My DH has an sci, We both have service dogs who love children to help us keep baby safe.

I am disabled and a parent of 4 with a baby due in April. I have panic anxiety disorder, bipolar, arthritis in both knees and degenerative joint disease. I will also be happy to answer any questions that you may have. My kids are 6, 9, 11 & 12. They are all getting ready to change ages in Dec, Feb and March.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->