Any Emetophobia sufferers?

smilingatyou

Reaction score
First of all I'd like to say hello to you all *waves*
My partner and I are planning to start ttc at the end of October but I have one issue that is rather worrying me with getting pregnant. I have a fear of vomiting which effects my life quite considerably. I was hoping to get some insight from anyone else who has been pregnant or is planning to and has emet too. I am especially worried about how I will cope with attending appointments and scans and things if I do have morning sickness. It makes me wonder how even women who don't have emet get through their appointments and things if they suffer with morning sickness, especially if its rather bad? Any insight or advice would be much appreciated, thanks guys :kiss:

Hi!,

I'm a phobic too so nice to meet you. I've also met another lady on here so there are a few of us about. I think my phobia is slightly different to yours though. Having never been 'ill' Im not so much scared of vomiting as other people vomiting.

Are you getting any support from you dr. or anything? You can be prescribed anti nausea drugs if they'd help you. However, these don't help in my case as I can't force feed them to everyone around me. You're right though, it really does affect your life. Best of luck in your journey.

Sorry hun, i cant say i am, Being sick dosent bother me but FEELING sick, that i cant stand

i am PETRIFIED of being sick to the point it started ruining my life if you want a chat pm me hun x

I dont have a phobia but I am scared of being sick. But id like to say i didnt throw up once during my pregnancy :hugs: x

I don't have a sick phobia, but that does sound really bad! I'm sure if you asked the doctor they could help you? Best of luck with it, I really hope it all gets sorted so you can relax and enjoy your pregnancy :) *hugs*
My phobia is wrists and veins :/ Not even blood. I've only had blood taken once since the phobia started, and I've actually considered not telling anyone I'm pregnant, and not going to see a midwife JUST so they won't take blood from me :( The one time they took blood, OH had to sit on me to hold me down, and I was screaming and crying until I nearly passed out. I'm SUCH a loser!! XD

Hello! Just wanted to say welcome :) I don't have this problem, although I certainly don't enjoy it, I am not overly worried about it - I can imagine how much of a worry it is for you though as most people do get morning sickness - it would be great though if you are one of the ones that don't :) x

Thanks for your replies. I'm not receiving help from the doctor for my emet as I try to just deal with it the best I can. No one apart from my OH knows I have this problem so I keep it very much to myself. But I am thinking that when I am lucky enough to fall pregnant I may be best being upfront with my doctor and midwife that I have this problem. I am just hoping they will be able to help or at least be sympathetic to it.

i am PETRIFIED of being sick to the point it started ruining my life if you want a chat pm me hun x

I want to Pm you hun but it won't let me, do I have to have a minimum amount of posts first?

Hi!,

I'm a phobic too so nice to meet you. I've also met another lady on here so there are a few of us about. I think my phobia is slightly different to yours though. Having never been 'ill' Im not so much scared of vomiting as other people vomiting.

I have the same thing, so the actually being around other pregnant women will scare me more :blush:

It is very difficult... I dont have a phobia as such but I do not like it! My worry was about vomiting outside... i had terrible all day 'ms' till 16 weeks and it was difficult to cope with it at times. Luckily I was never sick in public felt like it a few times, but from 6-16 weeks was sick at work most days and at home. You just adapt to dealing with it. I would suggest speaking to someone about it. You may be among the lucky women that dont get it, its so variable its incredible. Good luck with your journey and I am sure with the support of your OH you will get through it. Maybe think about telling your family and a few close friends for some support too, there are alot of people with this phobia these days.

Yes! I have emetophobia! I am on some websites for that, too, are you? Good luck to you!

I don't think it would be right to call it a phobia but I have always been very afraid of feeling and being sick. I'd rather suffer a lot of things before being nausea and sickness if I could choose. My biggest fear of drinking too much was the prospect of being sick (which I ahve rarely been) and that has kept me from excessive drinking.

When I was pregnant my morning sickness started at 6 weeks and was continuous throughout my whole pregnancy. I was sick about 4 times, not including labour, but I could not move for the nausea and would retch constantly. To be honest the rare time I was sick was a relief but only for about half an hour.

I'll not pretend, it was extremely difficult. I really don't know how I did it. I spent a lot of time working from home and left very early for appointments and drove as much as possible so that I wasn't rushing or walking too much which made it all the worse. Smells were difficult. I couldn't cook any food, DH had to make me meals, and often I couldn't eat them even when he did. I mostly lived off salt and vinegar crisps and sherbert lemons. Probably around half way through my pregnancy I was given two different types of anti-emetic neither of which helped at all. We couldn't get cylclazine which, from experience, would probably have helped at least a bit. I suppose the only positive thing I can say is that I did it, Byron is strong and healthy, I've forgotten a lot of being pregnant and was in some other world throughout the whole of it and I was eating horrible hospital scrambled eggs 20 minutes after giving birth with such delight as if they were the most delicious cakes! When I was pregnant I thought I would feel like that forever and lost all confidence that not being pregnant would fix me, but it did, like a light switch.

I'm SO glad someone posted this cos I've been thinking the same too!
I have emetophobia & it consumes me everyday :( even if I feel a little bit sick I shake uncontrollably & if someone else vomits around me I shake & cry hysterically (even if I only hear the sound) if I'm sick myself I can barely breathe afterwards (but luckily I haven't been sick for 5 yrs) so I know exactly how you feel!
I'm worried about when I get pregnant.. what if I get morning sickness.. my mum had it throughout the entire pregnancy with me & she was sick all the time.
I can handle baby sick when they're solely fed on milk but I'll be petrified when they go onto solids & it looks like 'proper' sick if you know what I mean :haha: then I don't think I'd be able to cope if I was on my own.
I'll be interested to see how mums with the phobia deal with it :D hopefully it'll put mine & your mind at rest!!
(Sorry for the long rambling post :haha:)

It definitely helps to find others like me out there! I know it will all be worth it in the long run, and there are many many more awful things to go through other than being pregnant. I just hope I manage to stay positive when the time comes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->