Any experience (phonological disorders)?

andypandy2

Reaction score
Hiya.

I have posted in this section before that I basically think my (now 32 month old) son has possible verbal dyspraxia.
He is currently waiting for outreach services from our nearest speech and language facility (referred to by the speech a language therapist) however as we wait I just wondered if any parents/carers have any experience of phonological disorders? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Can speech like this just be immaturity that will right itself? (The therapist didn't say much other than she was referring him due to lacking quantity of words at this stage.)

Examples of Joe's speech...

He has about 40 one syllable words.

He says about 10 words correctly ie 'car' 'ball' 'yeah' 'no' but not mummy or daddy (we are 'ma' and 'ga'.)

About 25 of his words miss beginning consonants, end consonants or are even just vowels alone ie 'ba' = bath, 'si' = side, 'eee' = please.

The rest of his words are just 'sounds' (grunts, squeels, exasperations) or in a nut shell 'completely made up' ie 'yoy yoy' = fireman Sam 'gogi gogi' = ice cream 'gee' =crisps.

Note: Joe also really struggles to imitate words and often goes shy or just says 'no' and it confuses me why he can use a certain sound ie 'b' in 'ba' for bath but says 'dye dye' for bye bye.

Thanks in advance xxx

My DS is the same age, and he definitely has a phonological speech problem. He is starting special needs preschool next month for this. My mom is a speech pathologist for preschoolers so we are very aware of his processes. He tends to back a lot, and he uses "deh" for everything. According to my mother and his teachers, it is NOT something that will fix on its own at this point and intervention is necessary for improvement. It sounds like your son is very similar to mine, and the best thing would be to get him evaluated and into a program asap. Its hard to specifically say what the issue is without doing a full eval, the thing here is they dont normally do any intervention until 3 years, and kids can change dramatically in a few months. Good luck!! If you have any questions I might be able to help with my limited knowledge on this :)

ETA: My son also does the "grunts/random noises" for words- "Doo-dah" is mickey mouse, although he can sort of say "icky ouse" he prefers "doodah" cause its easier for him. Thankfully all these things do sound like processes that can be easily and quickly adjusted :flower:

My son has global dyspraxia including verbal dyspraxia. My son's is more severe than what you two are describing and at 6 years he has very few words at 3 had no words except 'yeah' and 'k'. But of course the spectrum can vary - definitely have your son evaluated and I couldn't agree more with pp - early intervention is golden. You may find that your son just needs some support for a period of time. :hugs::hugs:

Thank you for those replies girls!

I actually had enough time today to sit and write down all the words my son can say, and the ways in which he says them, and sort of 'check them off' against the way in which toddlers develop language...and it is really clear that Joe can't say many consonants at all...even the ones that babies initially learn...so I at least feel more prepared now for when he has his appointment with the speech and language preschool (as I'm sure they'll ask what sounds he can make and what he can't etc.)

Also, (as I have posted before,) my son is a gorgeous little man, with a very good sense of humour and certainly very affectionate!!!...However I have also previously said that my son is extremely active/boisterous ie doesn't walk well, just runs off and is basically on the whole (and i do feel bad for saying, but all close family agree,) damn hard work (like he has no off switch,) therefore my husband and I both sat down to agree today that we will also request for this to be 'looked at,' just in case it is some how linked with his speech.

Xxx

Writing it all down is excellent. When I started our journey having my son checked out I found it immensely helpful to have everything written down - also in terms of 'tracking' progress/ challenges. Let us know how it goes :thumbup:

We've got somewhere!

I won't go around the houses, but after two referrals that I was waiting on, (one for my son's mouth/palate to be looked at by a paediatrician and the second a referral to the CDC in regards some challenging behaviour) just not happening, I finally got naffed off and paid for a private Speech and Language assessment (which I wish I'd done sooner!)
The outcome in a nutshell...my son's 'understanding of language' is delayed for his age, which goes someway to explaining some behaviours and my son's speech is of 'disordered development' which now 'written down' should pave the way forward for firstly, others not thinking I'm making something of nothing and secondly, something specific to be able to tell the Speech and Language preschool when they do get in touch. (In fact the private SALT has already given me specific tasks to work on with little man, which is great and what I've wanted!)

X

Just wanted to say hello..

My son was 4 in August but when he was the same age as your son, I could have written your post myself. Literally word for word!

We still think he has verbal dyspraxia but it hasn't been officially diagnosed yet. He started talking a lot more after his 3rd birthday and finally said Mummy/Daddy at 3yr4m but even now the majority of what he says is difficult to understand.

I actually got out my list the other day that I'd done when he was 38 months old to compare it. Then, he could say 70 words but only pronounce 23 correctly. Now he can say 38 correctly. We've also noticed a bit of a stammer and a lisp recently.

We have been majorly let down by the speech and language team as they just don't seem to be able to engage him but he was diagnosed last month as being on the Autism spectrum which explains his challenging behaviour.

All you can do is keep supporting him as much as possible at home. It's hard, upsetting and frustrating for everyone but they will get there one day xx

My daughter also has a delay and disorder in her receptive language x

Thank you for those posts Bananabump and Alibaba.

I am very sorry Banabump that you have had such negative experience of your local SALT team! It's not good enough! And I would've said the same of our team if I hadn't heard from the local Speech and Language Unit by now, but fortunately for us they visited just days ago and things have already started to be put in place.

I think it certainly helped that I had the private assessment report to email to the Speech and Language unit in advance of their visit, (we were probably a step further ahead of what we would have been) but after talking to me and playing with my son for about an hour... the two ladies that came think we could now be no looking at Specific Langauge Impairment rather than a speech disorder or Verbal Dyspraxia. It's not a diagnosis to my knowledge (and of course a paper report will be provided that should be clearer than word,) but essentially they think my son's understanding of language is delayed, speech delayed/ inconsistent and apparently the way he played was somehow different?(Though the latter I hadn't picked up on.)

It all sounds negative doesn't it and I did have tears yesterday, however the Team are going to liase with my son's pre-school, a TA is coming to do a block of play based therapy at home and my son will see an actual NHS SALT on a regular basis, which all in all is great!!!! For so long now I've kind of thought (though it's obvious my son's speech is behind) that most people have thought I've just been dramatic talking about my son's lack of concentration/challenging behaviours.

Did you girls encounter others that though you were looking too indepth at things? How did you feel when you were essentially told your child did have additional needs?

thank you xx

for me personally It never dawned on me at the time. When our salt said she has a language delay I just thought we would work on it. she would catch up and be fine. then the word "disorder" started to appear in her reports. I couldnt bring myself to ask the salt about the disorder so I done LOADS of googling. And thats when It dawned on me that actually this wasnt as straight forward as I had hoped. and she may not just get there. And actually that this was considered special needs. It hurt if Im honest. I do not want my daughter having any additional needs. I do not want to see her struggle to interact with her peers. I do not want to worry about school and If she will ever get a job. So I Guess in a nutshell I feel bitter/upset and slightly let down that nobody pointed out to me (nursery staff hv etc) her delays. I Wish I had gotten her into therapy sooner so there is an element of regret. but what I am feeling mostly these days is hope. that while she does have a language learning difficulty she is a bright sociable and happy girl .she is progressing all the time and I have to be thankful for those things And I truly believe by the time she is an adult she is going to have language sussed well enough to be just fine. even if she does find it hard

And yes my family and friends all tell me I am over looking it and over worrying. But its not happening to there kid. so they can say that.

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->