Any info please, possible hydrocephalus?

erriechick

Reaction score
Hi All I had blood test done for spina bifida and downs and it came back high risk for spina bifida. Was scanned at 16 weeks and no abnormalities were found. I was scanned again a few days ago at 21 weeks and again no abnormalities were found, however the ventricles in the baby's head were found to be slightly outwith what they call normal range (normal being 10mm and my baby being 11.6). As you can imagine I have been extrememely worried and upset since and wondered if anyone has gone through similar. All the Doc said was to go back in 2 weeks for a further scan and if measurements are same or decreased then great but if they get larger there is a risk the baby could develop hydrocephalus! I seem to be getting over one hurdle only having to face another! It took such a long time to get pregnant and now this! Anyone with ANY info at all would be appreciated! Thanks

Don't know an awful lot i'm afraid, just that I think it means water on the brain. just wanted to offer ((hugs)), hope all is well in 2 weeks xx

hi

I know a baby that has hydrocephalus, yes it is water on the brain, basically the passage is not clear to allow fluid to leave. A shunt will be fitted which is an op that has been performed safely many times, this shunt will run down side of head (under the skin)through abdominal cavity and in most cases into the stomach to keep a constant drain on fluid. You will be able to see it under the skin but as baby grows over the following months it will not be noticeable especially as babies hair grows! Baby should lead as normal a life as any other.

ive had that with one of my babys and when i went back it had reduced and all was fine i wouldnt worry too much as its not that much over the limit,hope thi helps.xxx

Hi Hun we got told about this at our 23 week scan yesterday, we have been pooing ourseleves at what it all might mean. we were told that one pocket of brain fluid is slightly borderline at 9.3mm and to come back in 4 weeks for another growth scan and then maybe an MRI scan at 32 weeks.
We were told not to worry as my downs testing gave me a 1 in 17000 chance, but now they found this its dropped to 1 in 1700!
We werent given much information only that it is 5% chance of meaning a mental disability.
The word we were given to describe it was Ventriculomegaly.

hope you find out some more info soon, have they given you another appointment for another scan to check on growth? xx

Moved the thread into here for you hun, as you might get more replies:thumbup:

Thanks all! I am getting scanned again around 24 weeks and although I was told not to worry, its all I have done lol! The doc said that if the measurements decrease then that will be a very good sign as no other abnormalities were detected at all either at 16 or 21 weeks! Thanks again for all your replies, nice to know others have experienced the same! x

Sorry I should rephrase - not nice that others have experienced the same, but that I can share information! Sorry, it didn't come out the way I meant!

Sorry I should rephrase - not nice that others have experienced the same, but that I can share information! Sorry, it didn't come out the way I meant!

Lol I knew what ya meant hun :) Fingers Crossed for you for the next scan, I have Subscribed to this thread so please update with how you get on. xx

Hey hun

My LO has spina bifida and Hydrocephalus. Its a long and complicated story, but basically now she has a shunt, is 15 months old and is doing very well. In regards to her HC, it is a horrible, horrible thing (I'm not going to lie to you) and the first few months won't be easy for you if your LO does have it. Its very scary, Hydrocephalus can have very serious implications if its not treated in time.

As far as mental disabilities go you really can't put a number to it accurately before the baby is born. Hydrocephalus can be very mild, or it can be very severe. There is always a risk in the first year the shunt can get infected. The shunt can get blocked at any time, whether its been in 1 month or 10 years.

I hope your LO's ventricles have gone back into a normal size at your next scan.

Just an update - had my 24 week scan today and the ventricles have decreased in size which is a good sign and may posssibly resolve completely! Felt a huge relief although still not out of the woods yet! Being scanned again at 28 weeks so fingers crossed for more good news then! x

Just an update - had my 24 week scan today and the ventricles have decreased in size which is a good sign and may posssibly resolve completely! Felt a huge relief although still not out of the woods yet! Being scanned again at 28 weeks so fingers crossed for more good news then! x

Excellent news :) Fingers Crossed for you for the next scan hun xx

Fingers crossed for you hun :hugs:

Hey Ladies, just letting you know I have my next scan tommorow which will tell us if the fluid pockets have increased, decreased or stayed the same. Im so nervous/worried/scared!
I will let you know how we get on, fingers crossed! xx

Had the scan yesterday and the measurements have gone from 9.3mm to 10.1mm. We have to go back in another 4 weeks to see if its grown anymore. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->