Any ladies from the US? Need info on BF laws

Lizzybee

Mom to 1, StepMum to 1
Reaction score
Hi ladies, Im in Uk and have been looking up law on BF in US. Some websites contradict eachother about whether it is permitted in public or not. I am looking at going on holiday in the summer and as we travel round a few states and stay in motels along the way I want to know the law. Is there a reliable website to look up that will give me this info?

I think it kind of depends where you are. I would find it hard to believe that anyone would really cite you for feeding your LO. In places around where I am (SF/Berkeley), people are breastfeeding in public all the time, no big deal. If you are in a conservative place, just play it safe and put a light blanket over you to keep it more discreet. I have totally breast fed this way in restaurants, etc. Have a great trip!

It does vary from place to place sadly, having lived all over the us I've seen ladies do it all over, but like ortho chick said, some areas fully accept bf in public without covers, where as where I live right now in the south it's frowned upon to not have a cover.

Hey there!

I was curious about the state laws as well and found this link in a baby magazine I have. It lists all the states that have breastfeeding laws/allowances. Have a safe and happy trip!

https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx

I am pretty sure for the most part you can breastfeed in public as long as you have the right to be there. I haven't heard of anyone being arrested for doing it, worse case is that they are jerks and ask you to leave or cover up (but they do that even in places with laws stating it's perfectly legal). I live in a place where they push breastfeeding like crazy, but people still expect you to cover up which blows my mind.

I have always just searched the state name and breastfeeding laws to see what they had in place. I am just lucky enough to have been in states that put out several laws to protect it since my daughter was born.

Thanks everyone. Im a bit confused as to what you meant armywife 11 about having the right to be in a public place, can you give an example of one where you dont have the right? I have also read this statement on websites about state laws.

Thanks everyone. Im a bit confused as to what you meant armywife 11 about having the right to be in a public place, can you give an example of one where you dont have the right? I have also read this statement on websites about state laws.

The best example of a non public area would be private property where you have to get approval from the owner to be there. I can't really think of a good example other than maybe someone has a pond on their property that they let people visit but it's not open to the public. They can ask you not to breastfeed there f they so choose as it's their property not public property. All I can really think of. More than likely you won't end up on any private property if your visiting major tourist spots.

Restaurants, stores, parks, ect. are all public places and everyone can be there.

You generally have the right to breastfeed wherever you are allowed to be. Public or private. I breastfeed everywhere although I do use a cover

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->