Any mommas keep with a physical job?

littlejune

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

Just a thread for any of you who stuck with a physically taxing job during pregnancy and how you survived- or if you left and why.

I am currently approx 7 weeks and I work with un-predictable and violent kiddos on the autism spectrum and I am finding myself DONE by day's end. Done chasing, done with the tantrums, done with keeping them from hurting themselves and others- SO exhausted- not to mention usually bruised and scratched as well. I haven't seen an ob yet so I'm not sure if during my first appt they will recommend I leave my job. I love, love, love my job but I would welcome rest haha.

Anyone else try to survive something physically exhausting everyday- how did you manage, or why did you leave?

Leaving is not an option. I was fine until today. Today, the pregnancy is definitely kicking my butt. My job is not demanding. Mainstream teacher. Just tiring to be up all day. I had to teach social studies from a chair today for the last hour of school. I just could not stand.

I'm just honest with my students about how I feel and what my expectations are. I don't have any kids on the spectrum, so usually I say that and they are pretty empathetic.

I feel ya- kids are exhausting. I just worry because our classroom is so wonderful but I fear I'm not effective anymore because I'm just not myself. Sitting down is usually not an option- I'm often trying to keep them from harming themselves or me and I'm not sure an OB will approve of a job this physical. Good job teaching your kids expectations and how to be flexible!

Aww yeah that's hard. I have so much respect for teachers like you. I couldn't do it. I teach in a school with very high standards of academics and behavior. These kids only know how to respect teachers. They don't respect their parents, each other, or any adult that is not a teacher/principal. I would just be worried for your safety. I know the feeling of ineffective, but you should not think that. I'm sure you are just as great now as you were pre pregnancy

Thanks for the encouragement! I see my OB next thursday and will obviously see what she suggests, and look to the district for my options. I have to remember, I have a kid in there now too that deserves to be protected as much as my amazing students do.

I don't have any experience with this, but I would try to get into an OB as soon as possible. If there is a worry that your job might harm your pregnancy (which is sounds like there well could be!) you will have to look out for the kid inside of you. It's only temporary! And thanks for the work that you do! Wow!!
Do you know if your employer will have to find alternative work for you?

Thanks Septie- I have an appointment next thursday which is the soonest I can get in. I will likely have other positions I can transfer to- it would just be heart wrenching as I truly love my students.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->