Any premmies low milk intake but gaining weight?

clairec81

Reaction score
Hi everyone just wondering if anyone experienced this - my LO is 16 weeks (10 corrected), was 3lb at birth and feeds have always been a bit of a struggle. She takes about 80 - 100mls (3 - 3 1/2 oz) every 4 hours. She has never lost weight or even stayed still however wasn't gaining as much as the Dr's hoped so put her on Infatrini (high cal milk). She has been on it about 5 weeks and gained a good amount of weight - about 5 - 7 oz per week. However as her weight goes up I expected her feeds to as well but this doesn't seem to be the case with her only increasing the odd feed by 10 mls or so. Consultant happy with weight gain but looking for her to take larger volumes of milk and the calculation they do to see how much she should be taking is definitely out now. Anyone else had this? Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance

Chloe and Jaycee have never ever had more than 5oz. they came home on 60 mls and they slowly moved up but never ever more than 5oz

hey hun, Matthew was 3lb 11oz and came home on 2oz every 4 hours although went onto demand feeding, weight gain was/still isslowly (roughly 9-12oz every 4 weeks) but nothing to be concerned about as he's headed in the right direction at his own pace and was never offered high cal milk

Like you I thought he would increase oz's although it was very gradual, he just was not a milky baby at the most just before Matthew turned 1 and we switched to full fat cows milk he only took 6oz or so and that took ages. He is a very happy healthy boy who loves his grub!

If its any help he now guzzles full fat cows milk and will drain 9oz twice a day in no time :happydance: xx

WE had the same issue, we were on 100mls for what seemed like forever. Very gradually it increased though. Just always make sure you have a little bit extra left to offer and LO might just fancy a lil more one day! Also, check the teat size - that was our problem too, it was so slow that LO couldnt be arsed drinking that much because it was so much hard work. When we moved a teat size, she started drinking a bit more!

Thanks everyone. I was so pleased with her weight gain until consultant queried milk intake, now its all i can think of. Gather its sometimes best to go with your instinct! How's everyone's LO's weights going by the way?

Molly has never drank more than about 5oz, usually she would only drink 3 or 4 but she gained weight fine. She just never semed hungry.

Jenson takes between 50 and 70 every 4ish hours so not enough for what he should be. Hes still putting on weight though! x

I was thinking about the weight thing on the way home from our lunch today (which was lovely btw, look forward to the next one:thumbup:)

Is your HV using corrected age to plot the weight. By my reckoning, looking at the red book, she would have been between the 9th and 25th centile when she was born, and that's pretty much where she is now?

If she's gaining as much as you said she was I'd say you're both doing fine. I'm sure its just a numbers game!! I wonder what they did in the days before centile charts were here!

Hi,

My Maya is 5month now (11 weeks premature), she weighs 8lbs 12oz.
We struggle as well with her feedings.... No matter what we do, we can't make her drink more than 2-3 oz.
She is fed every 2nd -3rd hour - as it is impossible to keep her off food longer. Unless you are in the mood for a huge tantrum...

x

Mayasmum we had the same issue at about that age to start with, and no more than 3oz! it improved with time though, albeit slowly!

Hi all

Thanks for advice! Erin is definitely a struggle to feed - not a particularly hungry baby (max 4oz) and takes her time with that! However I do agree Foogirl (enjoyed lunch too - and picking your brain) I think we do get hung up on numbers and statistics. I remember in the unit saying to one of the nurses that Erin's O2 saturations were low-ish and I was concerned and she said to look at her - she was pink and breathing happily (numbers aren't everything eh). Your right Foogirl Erin was in between 9th and 20th at birth but did drop and thats when they put her on high cal milk. They are plotting by corrected age and gaining between 3 and 7 oz each week but think the prob is she took at dip early on and now the amount of oz she would need to gain to catch up is totally unrealistic! Now on 2 weekly weigh-ins instead of every week so we'll see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->