Any private tenants who claim housing benefit?

Piggywinkle

Reaction score
Since I had to leave work after having LO, we were eligible to claim a little bit of HB on our privately rented property. However, we had a letter today to say that our rent is increasing as of October this year.

Will our HB change or stay the same? I've not got a clue on which wonderful and complicated calculations they use to assess and no one at my local council is answering their phone.

Has anyone been through anything similar?

I think it may change. Can't be 100% sure but you should definitely phone and inform them. Of no one is answering even draft up a short letter and pop it in the post. X x

As long as you are still within your local housing limit then the hb should cover it. You can check your lha on your councils website. It would depend on the amount of rooms you have vs rooms you need etc.

If your rent is going above your LHA then you will have to pay the extra. the council will only pay a certain amount depending on your needs as opposed to what size your living in..
my LHA is something like 135 a week.. for a 2 bed which is 540 a month. but its impossible to find anywhere round here for less than 600 a month.. so we'd have to pay the extra.. Im still living at home, but in the process of getting a rented or council place :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->