any pro breast feeders I could use some advice...

Ashley8806

Reaction score
My story is a little complicated but here goes: lo lost 10 oz and at two weeks had still not gained any back. He was also pretty jaundice. The dr had me feeding him, pumping, and topping him off with what I pumped because he has been very tired from jaundice. What I was finding is he wanted more than I would produce and I was getting into my stash for top offs. I woukd pump longer to stimulate and make more milk but it doesnt seem to be helping. Today he is three weeks anc has gained 9 ounces in a week just an ounce away from birth weight. Im just getting tired of the pumping etc feedings take over an hour and its just exhausting. Im getting no sleep from pumping and feeding at night and I really don't want to keep gettong into my stash as im having surgery and need it and need it for when I return to work. I don't know how to get back to just nursing (and maybe a few pumping sessions for my freezer) but having enough to satisfy him and atill have him gaining weight. Any advice??? Im drinking tons of water and eating oatmeal twice a day. Im thinking of starting fenugreek for a last resort but it seems early?

We had a very very tricky breastfeeding situation bc Eevee was in the nicu for her first two weeks and wouldn't latch for her entire first month and she had lip tie and tongue tie so once she did latch it was very poor. Anyway, if you can read any of my old posts from last year, you'll see all the craziness we went through to continue bfing. But I went on so many different supplements that at one point I was taking 42 pills a day. Don't be scared of the fenugreek, it was the first supplement I turned to and the last one I stopped using because it really does help and so many LCs recommend it. If you feel like you need more supply, go for it. It's never too early to start taking it, my LC told me to start taking it immediately after the baby was born. It's a herb, not a chemical type pill, so it won't have any nasty effects on the baby.

I STRONGLY recommend reading a book called The Mothers Guide to Making More Milk. That book is what helped us figure out that the lip tie and tongue tie were Eevees real problem. We had her checked when she was one month and the LC told us she didn't feel anything. At 8 months I read that book, checked her myself and could absolutely feel it, asked her pedi for a recommendation to see a doctor who specialized in tongue ties. She said the tongue tie and lip tie were very tight and she was amazed that the first LC didn't catch it.

Also, I was going to say don't lose heart. The first 6 weeks are the hardest and after that your supply becomes pretty stable and the baby gets really good at feeding. You're halfway to the point where bfing is less exhausting and more enjoyable :) good luck

Thank you for all the advice. I guess my biggest concern on top of supply issues is just that hes still so slow at nursing and never seems satisfied until he has that top off. Im thinking of calling lactation to see if I can go in cuz I know they help with weighing before and after a feed so I would know what he is getting.

Also sorry about your rough start. Dd2 was in the nicu so u know how much of a struggle that is. Gad you got everything figured out xX

How much comfort nursing is your LO doing?

Fenugreek is great and I am happy to hear that you have started that. Definitely go and see an LC about latching and motivating bubs to get nursing. I pumped and nursed for about 7 weeks and it is so exhausting. I feel your pain. I drank mothers tea with fenugreek and ate oats and drank lots of water. The best time to pump is about 2 - 3 am when your milk is resetting for the day. You need to make sure you are drinking enough and getting enough sleep. Your body needs to know that you are ok to produce decent amounts of milk, if you are too tired then it will divert energy to you instead of making milk. So rest up!!

Pump when LO is on the other breast or crying. Hot compresses before feeding will help release your milk. Maybe consider a supplemental nursing system to keep LO stimulating your milk supply while getting the top up.

I massage my breasts with Fennel essential oil 2-3 times a day if my supply is going down and I notice a big difference in my supply usually within 12 hours. I'm also going to pick up some brewer's yeast the next time I'm in town and make a big batch of nursing cookies. They are supposed to be really yummy and boost your milk quickly thanks to the brewer's yeast, oatmeal, and flaxseed meal in them. Just google 'nursing cookies' and you'll find a bunch of recipes.

Thank you both for the great advice! He doesn't really comfort sick as far as I know. If it feels fluttery I take him off. I've currently been nursing on one side while pumping the other i just would like to get to just nursing while I can before heading back to work. I will definitely look up the cookies, thanks!

Also so far I haven't noticed the fenugreek helping which is pretty disappointing :( I am taking 3 pills three times a day

Just responding to your above post, 'if he feels fluttery you take him off'. This could be reducing your supply. Fluttery nursing is comfort nursing and it stimulates the breasts to make more milk, the more they are suckling, the more you will make. My milk supply is pretty settled to what my girl needs but I still let her comfort feed until she comes off or my nipples start to get a bit sore! hehe.
Your breasts never completely empty, you will still produce some even if it takes him five or six sucks to get a swallow. My advice would be settle yourself in your home with some good tv for a week and if baby will go for it and not get too upset then just let him feeeed feed feeeed, let him tell your body what you need to be producing. If you feel like he's getting too frustrated then give him a top up, perhaps slowly reduce the number of times you supplement him over the course of a week or two and you've just got to let him be at your breasts as long as he will keep sucking!

Taking fenurgreek will hopefully help and following all the above advice, but again on top of that, he just needs to be on your breasts constantly. If he's still hungry/unsatisfied let him suck MORE. Your body (if all is normal with your breasts/hormones) will get the messsage. But don't make yourself sore.

Good luck hunny, hope you can get back to breastfeeding exclusively :hugs:

Thank you all for the great advice. Unfortunately my appointment with lactation didnt go well. Looks like he has a very high and narrow palate making it near impossible to latch correctly and empty the milk, he doesnt get much at all. They gave me a shield to try but if it doesnt help there's not much else I can do :(

Are you getting nipple damage or lots of pain with the latch?

Is your breast emptying? Can you feel a let down or two or more? When you are pumping the other side than LO is feeding on do you notice a better flow than when just pumping without LO?

Sorry, but I find your LCs advice a bit confusing if you aren't in pain or suffering engorgement. Latch and transfer issues usually manifest symptoms for the mother. If it were me I would get a second opinion. Do you have a Le Leche group near you?

I went through 3 different LC's from the same organisation before getting one who didn't tell me it was hopeless and actually helped me. With LO2 I diagnosed my baby myself and asked the hospital lead LC to set up treatment for me and she told me that she agreed with the diagnosis but didn't agree it was a problem and told me just to get on with it. I told her about my previous experience with LO1 and she said 'well we will just have to agree to disagree and you can go see your old LC if you want something done!!'. So I did, we got the treatment and latch problems solved.

He is not emptying so I am not making enough. He nursed for 45 min yesterday and only got 20 ml total, and considering he is 3.5 weeks he obviously needs more. It hurts initially when he latches on also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->