any teachers? question about teaching to write

kosh

proud new mum!
Reaction score
just out of curiosity really
English is not my first language, we speak Spanish at home. I've shown my LO (only because he asked) how to write 'mama', 'papa' etc by pronouncing the individual sounds. Of course Spanish is a very phonetic language so it makes it very simple, but that got me thinking - how do you teach to write/read English in primary school? :shrug:

In primary all of the letters and their sounds are introduced. From there, it moves on to blends and their sounds (ee, ae, ai, etc.). All of the sounds are taught, and then children write by what they hear. Spelling isn't a concern until much later. Children are also exposed to words used on a regular basis through activities and "word walls". This is my experience, I'm sure that others have different ones :)

In primary all of the letters and their sounds are introduced. From there, it moves on to blends and their sounds (ee, ae, ai, etc.). All of the sounds are taught, and then children write by what they hear. Spelling isn't a concern until much later. Children are also exposed to words used on a regular basis through activities and "word walls". This is my experience, I'm sure that others have different ones :)

I'm not a teacher, but this is how my son is being taught as well. He just started kindergarten. They are learning sounds associated with letters right now. As far as words, they also start them off with "sight words", which are words they learn to read just by looking at them and memorizing them. They are very simple words, so they are learning those simple words while they learn the phonetics of letters to then start sounding out more complex words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->