Any tips/advice for expressing?

boobee

1 DD/Expecting No 2
Reaction score
I'm exclusively breastfeeding with no problems and my little girl is now 4 weeks old. I've decided to start expressing for the odd bottle feed (1 bottle every few days) just so she doesn't reject any in the future when I may not be there to feed. I tried today for the first time whilst in the bath AFTER a feed and managed a measley 1oz in about 45minutes off both breasts. I decided to try again this evening feeding baby on one breast only and pumping on the other and managed 2oz in about 30mins. However my baby wanted feeding again after and has been latched on FOREVER so I've clearly pumped her milk all out?! I thought it would be easy and I'd get loads out but I'm feeling really disappointed and useless, especially seeing as my friend said she used to easily pump 6oz in no time. I'm using a tommee tippee hand pump. Does anyone have any suggestions?!

Well personally I've found using an electric pump much easier than a hand one, so that might be something to consider.

The idea of expressing is that you're telling your breasts to make more milk, but it takes a few days of pumping for the message to be received. I pump after lo's morning and bedtime feeds and if I stop for a few days I then struggle for a few days after that until my body catches up again. So stick with it :thumbup:

Having said that, some women respond better than others to a pump. I can only pump 2-3oz in a session but my LO takes about 5oz in a feed. It's frustrating but it just means I have to pump more often than someone who might get 5-6oz at a time.

I'm new with this too. I thought 30 mins of expressing should be plenty as he never usually feeds more than 30 mins at a time. But when he was given the bottle with my milk (it was about 2oz after 30 mins) he wasnt even full.

I'm going to try and do a bit at a time, 10 mins here and there & try not to do it just before he's due a feed. Maybe that might help?
Good luck xx

I believe you'll do better with a decent electric pump tbh.

Also while I've not really tried much expressing yet this time (I'm 2 weeks pp) last time I found it took a few attempts at pumping before I got much. The first time I struggled to get an ounce brtween both breasts but after a few goes I was getting 4oz or more from one side quite easily.

Try first thing in the morning because you will have lots of milk then. My lo only takes one side so I can pump the other side. If you are freezing it, once you have a couple bags, rotate them by feeding a previously frozen milk and pumping right before or after.

Your supply will decrease as the day goes on, so try again next time in the morning. Some suggest pumping overnight, but I was never awake enough to do this but once or twice.

Eta- Also try massaging your breast tissue while you pump. I always have some milk hidden towards my armpit and if you press from outward areas and move the pressure inward (as in towards your nipple) you might get a little more :)

Try massaging your breasts for a few minutes before pumping. Do whatever you can to stay relaxed. I know that when i pump at work and am having a stressful day, it's difficult to get in a calm mindset and I sometimes can't pump very much.

It gets easier with time. I just answered another post with a similar response, so sorry if i sound redundant. But for the first few weeks of pumping, i was lucky to get 1-2 oz in 20 minutes. Now i get 5-7.

That being said, your baby will always be better at emptying your breast than the pump is. don't expect to get the same amount while pumping as your baby gets while nursing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->