Any tips for a first time mum?

Kirsty3051

Wife & mum of 3!
Reaction score
Hello ladies. Our first baby is due near the end of January. I've always liked the idea of breastfeeding but don't know an awful lot about it. I do have bigger boobs and I'm a little worried about the weight of them suffocating our baby - despite their sole purpose being to feed haha.

Any tips? Positions? Etc?
How often do you all pump? Does it vary depending on the day?

Breastfeeding doesn't seem to be the done thing in the area I live in. Is there a chance my baby will refuse to take pumped breast milk from a bottle? More than happy to whack my boobs out here, there and everywhere if required. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Well, looking for information before you have the baby is a great start. :) A lot of the struggles people face breastfeeding are made even worse by lack of knowledge/support. Lots of professionals paint a picture of breastfeeding being this lovely, natural, tender thing... and eventually it is, but usually the first few weeks are anything but. :haha:

You won't suffocate your baby with your boobs, unless you're on top of them, but that doesn't sound like a very effective feeding position in the first place. ;) I have DDs and did find that the football position (baby tucked under one of your arms with their legs towards your back) never really worked for us. We always fed with her laying across my tummy or in the side-lying position while in bed. A nursing pillow was like a tiny gift from heaven for me since we loved the 'tummy to tummy' position so much.

I didn't pump much at all before my LO was five months because I was always with her. Maybe once every couple of weeks just for a feeding break. After that I went back to school and working part-time and I was pumping 5+ times per day so that my mom and husband could feed her breast milk while I was away.

Some babies will refuse bottles entirely but most will take to them fine. It might be a good idea to introduce a bottle after 4-6 weeks even if you have no reason to, just to get your LO familiar with it.

Feeding in public is a bit tricky at first but you'll catch on quickly. It's good that you don't have any reservations going into it, that will certainly make it easier. I was very accustomed to pumping and my LO had no issues with bottles, but we still nursed in public regularly. It's just so much easier.

Some things to keep in mind:

Clusterfeeding (the baby feeding for hours on end and not seeming satisfied) is completely normal, especially in the first six weeks. My LO used to feed non-stop from 10pm-7am. As long as they're having lots of wet/dirty diapers then there's no problems with your supply, just let your baby feed as often as they want.

Co-sleeping is breastfeeding's best friend. There's nothing more discouraging than having to get up for the 15th time in one night to feed your baby. Or being stuck on the couch with zero hours of sleep barely able to keep your eyes open while your baby feeds for the 8th hour in a row. It took me two weeks to try laying down and feeding LO in bed and I was so mad that I didn't try it the first night. You can doze off while LO feeds and sometimes not even wake up when they latch themselves on. Much more relaxing for everyone! Just look up safe bed sharing guidelines if you decide you want to give it a try.

Pumping is not indicative of your supply. Most women can only pump a fraction of what they actually produce since a pump is not as effective as an actual baby sucking. So, for example, you might be able to pump only 1oz per session, but obviously your baby is getting more than that when feeding (assuming they're gaining weight and everything is fine). It can be a bit frustrating when you're trying to pump for a full 4oz feed, because it takes multiple pumping sessions to get one feed, but it's normal.

And most importantly: This section can be a lifesaver. After getting some terrible advice from doctors/nurses, I truly believe that this forum is the only reason I breastfed past the first few weeks. There are so many ladies with lots of great support and advice so just ask if you're unsure about anything! You're bound to find at least one person who has been through the exact same thing.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->