Any tips for long haul flight at 28-30 weeks?

fuschia

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

Just wondered if any of you have any advice on the above!

Off to Florida in 5 weeks - from London.

Consultant says should be ok and i am in process of getting the precious letter from my GP to show the airline i'm all good!

I have been told the usual - stay mobile on the plane , wear flight socks, drink water.

Consultant also told me to take baby asprin every day from 2 weeks before the holiday.

Any other gems of advice ladies?

Bring your own big bottle of water (I went through 2 litres of water, plus other drinks I ordered) during a 10 hour flight. You can take it back to the flight attendants and ask them to refill it for you.

I'd recommend requesting an aisle seat so you can easily get up and walk around lots, but if you're flying with your partner or people you know, it might not matter as much if they're happy to have you crawling over them lots. I got up and walked around pretty much every hour and did some stretches and exercises.

Bring some food or snacks on with you. I found it was really nice to have some of my favourite snacks because my appetite wasn't great and the airline food wasn't all that appealing, but I liked having things I knew I'd want to eat so I could eat whenever I wanted.

Definitely take a supportive pillow! I did Tokyo from Manchester at 26 weeks, would agree on the water. The air hostesses were very attentive to me to be honest, nothing was too much trouble (although I was in business class with a flat bed, so it was quite comfortable really! not sure I would have coped so well in economy).

Ahh the long flights. I have done 6 since Christmas at 24 weeks.

Definitely wear tall socks of some sort. I did for my flights to the U.S. but did not when we flew to warm weather and ended up buying wrap bandages to help keep swelling down.

Get up and walk around. Use the bathroom in the far back of the plane if you don't have to go too badly to get there or go to the back or front galley to ask for water or ice refills.

Have a few copies of your flying papers. I was never asked until my last trip at 30 weeks, but from flight to flight the person that wanted them was different. One was the counter, one the boarding agent and one the head flight attendant.

Aisle seats really are a must for how often you will be up and how much you will need to stretch your legs out in the aisle just to get some bump relief. Adjust positions often so relieve the pressure off the backs of your legs too.

From London you should be able to bring your own water bottle but when I fly from China, they take all liquids away before getting on the plane, so that doesn't work for me. The flight attendants are usually very helpful to keep bringing you water or refilling the bottle or cup they give you on the plane.

Snacks are also good, especially if you have a dietary concern (I have GD so couldn't eat most of the carby meals/snacks they provide). Just remember any uneaten fruits and veggies have to be thrown away before customs in the US.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. As I said I have done several 6-14 hour flights in the last few months

I flew at 30-31 weeks (with a 2 year old) and the only other thing I'd suggest is to order a wheelchair! Omg I would have been in so much pain walking through the airport, rushing around with luggage, and holding a toddler without that. It gets you priority access, too.

I flew at 20/21 weeks from Denver to Thailand. Definitely bring your own pillow if you can. Ask the flight attendants for as many extra pillows you can and sit in an aisle near a bathroom. My compression socks were amazing. I tried to take them off b/c I wasn't convinced they did anything and I swelled up when they were off so I put them right back on. I got up to walk around and stretch very often. My doctor also let me take a baby aspirin before each flight to assuage my blood clot fears. Definitely bring your own snacks and water too. I bought that crazy J pillow thing and it helped me sleep so much better! Yoga pants a size too big and a comfy sports bra. Have fun!!

Don't do what I did and put your tums in the overhead compartment. Landing gave me the most awful heartburn and they were out of reach. I vomited as soon as I got in the terminal, lovely!

Thanks very much all! Some good tips here!!

Pillow will def do and water!

Aisle seat, Tums,snacks !

Def won't forget flight socks as they sound very important !

I'm so excited about our family hol but its my first ever long haul so a little apprehensive doing it pregnant !

For the trip back: the US doesn't allow any liquids to pass through security, so bring your water both empty back through. The emergency exit rows are better because you have more leg room. And like everyone else said, pillow and snacks. An assortment of snacks, because you never know what you're going to be in the mood for. And Florida is awful and muggy (it is surrounded by ocean after all) so definitely some sort of socks for swelling. Oh, and wear your most comfortable bra! I cannot stress that enough lol

I agree with Mod on the bra! Sitting that long in one that is too tight or takes too much space between bump and boobs hurts!

You can always buy a bottle of water once you are thru security and bring that on the plane leaving the U.S. it is only going in to the U.S. from higher risk countries that you have to ditch liquids at the gate as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->