Any Type 1 Diabetics? Need someone to chat to!

C

Ceejay123

Hey :flower:

My OH is type 1 diabetic. He's always been on the same insulin and hates going to the hospital. However, due to being ill we managed to get him to go last week. They've completely revamped everything.. Changed his insulin, units, the gadgets he uses.. They're putting him on courses. And they've given us statistics about the kids getting it, terrified us!

Are there any other diabetic type ones or partners of them on here? We're trying to get used to a whole new regime.. (Basal and NovoRapid). It's messing with him at the moment as he's having to learn what dosages he needs. :flower:

Also, I'm interested in knowing how genetic it appears to be in other's families... Did you get it from parents, grandparents, unknown? Do your kids have it? OH has three boys, the consultant said they all have a risk of getting it (not massive, but huge in comparison to most people). x

Hi CeeJay I'm not Type 1 myself but my 7 year old daughter is, she's been diagnosed 3 months now so quite new to it all. Obviously I have to do everything for her so I'm quite a expert on it all so far :lol:

What regime was he on before? Anything new will be better for him in the long run although it might make his readings go all over the place at first. Lily is on Lantus for her basal and novarapid for her bolus. Does he carb count? We find that the hardest part and also as Lily is in her honeymoon period we're kind of guessing her ratio at the moment!

Lilys great uncle has it but that's it, we obviously worried about the boys getting it now but there's nothing we can do to stop it so I guess we deal with it if it happens :( We know lots of type 1 families with more than 1 in the family and we know lots with just the 1 type1 so I think it's just the luck of the draw sadly.

If your boys do sadly get type 1 because their Dad has it it won't be such a scary ordeal hopefully and their Dad can help them with everything. For us it was like our whole world blew up. We routinely test our non T1 boys with the finger pricker to see their levels just in case :)

He used to just be on Novomix - But as of a few days ago he's now on bolus and novorapid like your daughter. So it means more injections but more control overall. He's just trying to get used to his dosage.. They started him on 15 basal bolus overnight, and it seems to bring him down rather than hold him steady. Then it's just trying to work out his dosages for his meals.

He's just started it, including correction doses. We've got an appointment with the dietician on the 15th to do dafne/carb counting. He's had diabetes for 13 years, but it's just this new regime that's setting him off. x

It must be really hard when he's so used to his normal routine, once they've given him a ratio for his carb counting he should have better control. How is he finding his basal? Lily hates it, says it stings like hell :(

He says its much easier to take than his old insulin. So that's a plus! Its just hard cause its constantly pulling him too low x

Whats he doing for his fast acting when he eats? Is he on set units? I reckon his basal amount needs reducing if it keeps pulling him low, Lilys had to be constantly reduced gradually from 11 units down to 6.5 now. Is he more hungry than usual? x

She put him on 15 bolus, he's reduced himself to 12. She put him on 4 fast acting per meal (plus 1 per 3 mmols correction) but that doesn't quite seem to be enough.

Not really, if anything he's eating a little less. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->