Anybody else dreading the summer holidays?

DanielleM

Reaction score
Both my kids break up next Friday 18th July. I am dreading it. The kids gets so bored I really do think that 6 weeks is too long. In my personal opinion I think that extra weeks should be added to the half term weeks in October, February and May making them 2 week breaks and then having a 3 week break in August. After the 6 week break everybody is out of their routine and the kids get bored.

So anyway enough of my soap box routine, let's share some ideas on here for the holidays that don't cost the earth.

Days out I have planned are;

Picnics in the park (free)
Manchester aviation park (£3/hr to park or free on public transport)
World museum in Liverpool (free)
Science and industry museum in Manchester (free)
Cinema vue kids am (£1.75/person morning screenings)
Home cinema, get kids to make their own cinema ticket, set up a little shop for them to buy goodies and put on a film, draw the curtains (good for rainy days)

Any other ideas welcome :)

I am quite nervous about it, Millie is good with entertaining herself with barbies, lego etc but 6 weeks! Eeek

Ideas for a preschooler

- Masking tape on the carpet to make a race track
- Glue, paper and embellishments (Millie will do this for ages)
- Painting
- Collecting stones and painting
- Tent outside and picnic
- Rice/spaghetti & food colouring (messy play)
- Make your own pizzas
-

x

Meh, these lot have been off a fortnight already :haha:

Luckily the weather's been generally good!

Not sure how old your boys are but seeing as a lot seems to be Manchester based I'll use that for suggestions.

- Heaton Park. You can hire pedalos and they often have fairs on in the holidays, and if your boys are still young there is the farm and the train the/vintage trams that go around the park.
- Manchester Art Gallery is lovely and has a children's space and lots of activities (free)
- Take them to see a kid's play at the Lowry. Or just to see the art work; Lowry is a bit like grown up Where's Wally so quite fascinating for children, and there are lots of family activities. The galleries are free.
- The Imperial War Museum North is really cool. Again free.
- The People's History Museum and the natural history museum (it isn't called this but something similar... the one on Oxford Road).
- Football Museum.

Elsewhere:
- The Maritime Museum in Liverpool is on my to go list, meant to be amazing.
- Ditto The Slavery Museum.
- Knowsley Safari Park. I haven't been since I was little but if it's as good as it was in 2001 then it's very worth it!
- Chester Zoo, though not on a weekend as it's so busy.
- Chester Sealife Centre.
- If it's hot you can get to the beach somewhere near Warrington, though not certain exactly where. If I remember right it's a nice one with sand dunes which are great fun.
- A day in The Lakes. After petrol a lot of things are free or cheap, though of course there are lots of great but pricey activities too.
-Blackpool Sand Castle.
- Walk around the walls in Chester and do all the touristy Roman themed tours and activities.

I'm actually looking forward to it for once tbh! Lol but you've already listed most of the things I had planned. The only other things I can think of atm are:

-Nature trails to look for mini beasts etc (my LOs are obsessed with mini beasts atm! Lol)
-Crabbing
-Taking nets down to our local brook as LOs love seeing what they can find in the water & catching frogs

All of which are free or pretty cheap & then we will probably go to the local zoo & the beach :) xx

Ours have been off for a fortnight so far. I'm another who agree the holidays are too long though!

So far we've been to lots of playparks (free), picnics (minimal cost), softplay (free as pay £20/ month for unlimited pass), beach, duck feeding.

Planning to do the Zoo, Gorgie Farm, museum, parks a little further away.

Ours have also been off for two weeks already, but they have a NINE week summer hol :shock:

Luckily we have a trip to England and grandparents coming over to break it up a bit.

We live v close to loads of beaches and two brand new playgrounds have opened up recently, that and play dates with other bored kids!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->