Anybody know much about cars, specifically Zafira's?

GypsyDancer

Mummy to Zach <3
Reaction score
I know this may sound very silly, please bare with me..

I was just on facebook and somebody had posted a picture of a car that had caught on fire nearby, i was reading the comments and somebody said that theyve seen several Zafira's catch on fire and will never buy one..
Im now on the verge of an anxiety attack as my OH's dad passed away 2 months ago and left OH his car, a Vauxhall Zafira :dohh: I already dont really want this car as im attached to our current one but OH is insistent we have to have this as its his dads..
We havent drove the car yet as we still have our old car at the moment but im now freaking at that theres some problem with the cars and theyre more likely to catch on fire??
I realise how silly i sound, but i have bad anxiety and spend alot of time obsessing over bad situations happening so now ive seen this picture and read that comment my mind is in overdrive now thinking that i CANNOT use this car now, im going to have to tell my oh our boys cant go in it :nope:
My mum told me about something that happened a long time ago,
a lady left her 2 children in the car, popped in the house and the engine caught on fire and the children died..
and now im absolutely terrified.. :(

Does anybody know if Zafira's are known for catching on fire ?

im not sure about the fire thing but i know Zafiras have ALOT of under the bonnet expensive problems.

https://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/road-test-reports/Vauxhall/Zafira/

eta: just read a few of those reviews & a few did mention fires due to electrical faults. sorry im totaly not helping am i?! xx

Ah bugger :dohh: Thanks!

Im slightly annoyed. I understand its his dad's car and he wants to cling onto something but if its going to cause us lots of problems whats the point :dohh:

Oh no! Just read your edit, i am really worried now :(
But thankyou for your help and honesty..have no idea what to do now, OH has it pretty set in his mind that we are having this car, he's already changed it over to my name and everything :nope:

I wouldn't drive it period. Perhaps show your Oh that website and warn him of the dangers of that car. Maybe seeing it in black and white might suggest not to take it on.

What version Zafira is it?
To be completely honest: I'd get rid of it.
Under the engine yes a lot of problems but if you also plan on using the 3rd row of seats (2, essentially in the boot) they are unsafe and I'd NOT use those seats if you planned on keeping it or just get rid of it all together.

I work on my own cars and I'd never own a Vauxy.
If it's got MOT and Tax you'd sell it with no problems.

hiya im a mechanic and currently own a zafira and honestly cars suddenly catching fire is an extreme rarity. if i knew for one minute that there was a known faults etc i wouldnt have bought it mines a 1999. Also when you search for reviews you will come across a lot of bad reviews as people will only tend to write them if they have something to complain about. Also people writing these reviews you dont know if they bought the car second hand or new? or whether it has been maintained well servicing repairs etc or literally driven it into the ground and it has every problem under the son. also people scaremongering well ive seen 7 off these alight-i have to ask really? maybe a coincidence if you have seen 2 but to have seen 7. as a mechanic ive never seen one. damn we would be scared to leave cars parked in our garage overnight if that was the case.
If you wanted piece of mind ask a garage just to give it a check over.

Dont get me wrong ive had to replace a few things on it but i expect that for a secondhand car and i know there are more expensive cars out there that are more reliable,but for now its fit for purpose.. also if there was such a dangerous fault there would have been a recall too.

We had a zafira and had quite a lot of VERY expensive problems with it just before we got rid of it. We had problems with the catalytic convertor thing the car badly broke down twice on the motorway and we had to get the whole thing replaced which was extortionate. catching fire I have heard reports of that but personally think its a bit a exaggerated hype type thing :hugs: We wouldn't buy one again mind you!

Most common on Vauxy's are the EGR valves... Which basically is the exhaust gas recirculation. I wouldn't touch one either. I do a lot of work on my car and had a friend with a Vauxy ask for advice, he had a vectra though.

We have a Zafira and an Astra and *touch wood* we've had no real problems with either. As a pp said, if there was a dangerous fault there would have been a recall.

I'm getting a Zafira (2006 model) as a Dad-taxi, picking it up next week. From what I've read they are great family cars, comfortable and well equipped. Definitely enjoyed it on the test drive. Most important thing is - has it been well looked after and regularly serviced? If not then you may have reliability issues. I know others who own Zafiras and they haven't had any problems. Don't let scaremongering affect you.

I've had a Vectra, Signum and DH has had a Corsa.

Only thing to go wrong was the EGR valve (as Missy has mentioned) on the diesel Signum. To solve the problem, we had to drive like a dick (hi revs) for about 20 mins every few thousand miles to burn all the shit out.

A friend had a Zafira, no problems with it at all.

Yeah it's basically best to avoid diesels if you do less than 10-12k miles per year. If you do lots of stop-start journeys around town, you'll run into problems as it doesn't clear out the valve properly. The MPG might look good on paper and I did consider diesels when I was researching family cars, but decided against it since I only rarely do long journeys and don't do motorway commuting.

I have a diesel zafira... Bought last year and touch wood so far has been fine. Its a great car to drive and i love it. At 9 years old with a 130000 on the clock i don't expect it to go forever but so far it has been a great buy and no more to run than my stupid uneconomical corsa!

I have a 2007 Zafira and have done for a year and not had any problems so far. I quite like my car actually :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->