Anybody started using a carrier/sling at a late stage?

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
I used to use a Close Baby when LO was really young, and then I occasionally used the Baby Bjorn Active. But I never got completely into using a carrier or sling, not like some girls do, and now he's over 8months and weighing more than 20lbs it ain't that easy! Plus I am quite petite, which makes it all the harder. Just wondering whether anybody started using a carrier or sling at this late stage. If so, what were your experiences? Did baby like it? Did YOU like it? Was it really far too uncomfortable because your joints weren't ready for it? And if you were successful, what carrier or sling changed your mind such that you decided using it so late in the game was a great idea?

i've used a carrier on and off but recently really got into it. We started with a bjorn which killed my shoulders. i'm a larger lady and i don't think i fit init well. I borrowed a friends wrap about 2 months ago (Q would have been about 6 months) and i love it. I have since brought a moby and have a babyhawk on the way.

Q loves seeing the world from my height. i alway make sure he's well supported and his weight is well distributed. he's around 20lbs now but was about 19.5lbs when we got into baby wearing. i can easily wear him for several hours but i will normally get him out for a play to give us both a break.

the biggest plus for me was being able to put the sling on and be ready to go quicker than i could get the buggy out of the car which was great if i just needed to pop in a shop quickly or knew i was going somewhere with alot of buggy traffic like on a bus or the town centre - less dodging about to do, or waiting for lifts instead of being able to use the escalator

I used a bjorn too and it KILLED, when Gabriel was around 8/9 months we bought our mei tai and I dont use it often but its very handy when we go out to Amsterdam for the day :)
I dont think its too late to start.

I also had a Close Parent, which was great when Adam was tiny, but I never used it for longer stretches than a 20 minute walk to the shops. That was mostly because I ached until Adam was 6 months old. By the time I stopped aching, he was really too big to be comfortable facing in, and although you can carry them facing out and that was comfy, it's not good for their hips.

Up till 6 months, I used the sling maybe once a fortnight, more in the earlier days, but like I said, never for longer trips. I don't blame the sling but I do blame my aching bones. I almost was going to give up on the idea as I thought he was getting too heav but decided to get a Connecta and persevere, simply because I had a few bad experiences with trains and steps and the pushchair and I really really wanted to be able to go out for a while and not have to plan my route around step-free access.

I am SO glad I bought the Connecta. Adam is now over 21lb (he was last weighed 3 weeks ago) and of course it feels like I'm carrying a 21lb child but it doesn't pull at all, the weight is distributed nicely over my shoulders. I can go out for 3-4 hours and feel fine. I am also not that big, 5ft 4in, and not fit (though fitter, I am sure, since having him!). I love carrying him, it's so quick to pop up to the shops and back compared to getting the pushchair out (we live up 2 flights of stairs), and he seems to like it as well. he will happily fall asleep after a while in it.

I don't think it's ever too late to start, unless you honestly cannot bear the weight, but with the right sling you won't feel uncomfortable.

I've always been happy with my Moby for the first 3-6 months and then I got a Connecta and that was fine. Em is probably 17-18 lbs now and I recently bought an Ergo and do back carries and it's absolutely fab. Em loves it and especially when he's having a grizzly day a quick walk in the carrier settles him a lot better than the buggy.
As long as you have a well structured Mei Tai or Carrier it should be great.
Baby Björns are RUBBISH for older children I don't know why they're so popular.

Ill 2nd Bayleaf on the Ergo, my friend has one and its fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->