Anyone been allowed a VBAC water birth?

MrsM17

Reaction score
I have just spoken to my midwife, I could cry. She said its hospital policy to not let you in the pool as you need constant monitoring throughout and are classed as high risk. She said it'd be a v v brave midwife who'd let me in the pool and take that chance. She said I am best having my consultant app at 20 weeks and asking them and seeing what they say but she expects it'll be bad news from any hospital. So gutted x

Me! I had a vbac in the water a little over 6 weeks ago. It's was amazing. My full birth story is in my signature if you want to read more about it. Your midwife is right though - it will take a brave midwife to give the go ahead for a water birth. My doctor at the booking appointment said it would be OK but the midwife that originally assessed me in labour said no when I arrived at hospital. Happily the bravest midwife was on duty LOL and she stepped up in my case, although all of the others told me afterwards that they'd not have let me near the water but that my midwife Heidi was 'fearless' ad I was lucky she was there.

Just to add that you can be monitored continuously in the water with a wireless monitor that is strapped to your tummy. I think you need to ask for telemetry, which I had, although a doppler check every 10 mins should be sufficient for a straightforward vbac.

Do not be put off - ask to speak to the supervisior of midwives and get her opinion ads a vbac in the water is a realisitc option as long as the previous cs is the only factor that makes you high risk.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask me anything else.

I've just had this chat with my consultant and she said as long as the appropriate doppler (as pp said a special waterproof type one) was available then it would be fine for a water birth. Fingers crossed from now till then for me!! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->