Anyone been backpacking?

Leafy

Reaction score
Where did you travel? What was it like? Would you do it again? Any tips? :D

x

My husband and I spent a year in Australia about 9 years ago, I loved it! Feels like a different life now though. We didn't travel the whole time, we sent the first 4 months travelling then stayed in Sydney and worked for a few months then did a bit more backpacking before coming home. I'd really recommend it, it was such a good experience. I was glad to get back to my home comforts and job though (I had a career break)

I did! I went to America (California coast, Hawaii, New York, Miami), Dominican Republic (popped down to see my friend get married), New Zealand, Australia and Thailand. I thoroughly enjoyed it! I spent about 2 years away, a year of that in Oz. Tips- read up on the hostels, do not do a mixed dorm, i did that a few times and to be surrounded by snoring men was not my idea of fun! I did not plan my trip before i went, i used to go to the train station see where the trains were going and decide from there! It was the best thing i have ever done, but i dont think i could do it again, not now, too old, too many expectations of hotel cleanliness etc! x

Hi, I work for an expedition company, taking young adults away to developing countries to do trekking and project work. I have only done 2 so far. The 1st to India for a month. We strted in Dehli, which was a shit hole! It was a hell of an experience but I never want to go back there!! Luckily we weren't there for very long and went up north in to the Himalayas to a place called Ladakh. It was beautiful and the people are really friendly. There is a lot of western culture which has made it's way in to the area, such as pizza & chips, coke & pepsi, and monks wearing western clothing.

Last summer I went to Morocco. We didn't go in to Marakesh but I've heard it's a fantastic place! We went south to the High Atlas Mountains, where the native Berbers live. We were trekking, it was great!

I'm off to Ghana this summer, never been before so will be interesting.

Logistics wise. Backpacking is quite simple. Just do some research before you go. The lonely planet guides are good.

sigh! This thread made me miss my kick-ass travel days.... sitting around feeling huge now, lol.....

When i was 17, i went round malaysia, thailand, cambodia, vietnam, china, russia, all across europe... went later to India, Jordan, palestine, egypt..... then later went all the way across the USA.

Completely loved all of it! South east asia was very cool... you'd meet lots of other backpackers along the way. Less so in China. That route is quite cheap though once you're there....

The middle east was fun but difficult to travel as a young woman without being harassed by men all the time.

USA was great but very expensive. Even camping in a tent costs quite a bit by comparison to other places.

Where are you thinking of going? Sounds exciting!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->