Anyone else been told their weight gain isn't enough?

IsabellaJayne

Mum of beautiful girls! WTT Dec 2023
Reaction score
I'm almost 25 weeks and only put on 6lbs. I've been told by consultant that I'm not gaining enough weight and even said I must not be eating. I'm eating three meals a day, albeit struggling to finish my plate but eating more than enough. I'm not underweight by any means. I'm a UK size 12 and weigh 12st at 5 ft 7. I'm smack bang in the healthy BMI range yet apparently I haven't gained enough.

I've still got just under 3 month where weight gain will happen so not sure why it's an issue now. Anyone else? Oh and my baby is measuring just fine so there's no problems there :/

I at the same gain from booking appointment weight. from pre-pregnancy i'm at 4lbs, (as of last week, when I last weighed myself) I haven't been told that I haven't gained enough, but then again they have not weighted me since my booking appointment.
I was weighed 2 days before I had my 2nd and was told it wasn't enough weight gain, gained 15lbs in total, he came out weighing 6lb 14oz, gained the same with my first and he was 4lbs 6oz

I too only gained 15lbs in my first pregnancy and my daughter was 6lbs 3oz. But she was three weeks early. I'm at high risk for IUGR so wondering if they're worrying about that?

my first was iugr, born at 36 weeks, my second was perfectly fine, they said he was still a little small though.
they've put me at high risk for iugr this time too.
lack of weight is a factor when it comes to iugr. my midwife thinks my baby is already showing signs. at 20 weeks his legs were 2 weeks behind, everything else was a few days to a week other then his stomach which was right on track.
are they giving you extra scans to keep an eye on baby?

See baby has been on track so far at scans. My daughter was too. I'm only at risk due to a blood clotting disorder. It's more common. Yes I have a growth scan at 28 weeks then if needs be I'll have another at 32. I'll also be induced from 37 weeks anyhow but that's more to do with the blood disorder

With my first baby. I only gained 10lbs by the end of my pregnancy. They kept giving me growth scans but baby was happy and healthy at 6 lbs 11ozs.

I've gone from 7st 12 to 9st already and I am only just 18 weeks :/

That's odd, I could maybe see it if you were a size 0 or something like that but even then if you're gaining, you should be totally fine, I personally have lost 20lbs and always lose weight when I'm pregnant haha, baby will get what he/she needs from you...the way I always look at it is this, doctors and midwives are people just like you and me and they have opinions too which is going to affect the care they give us, yours sounds like they're a little old fashioned in that area where there used to be a strong belief that if you didn't gain x amount of weight, you would hurt your baby...its just not true :)

I'm 5 10 and 12st . Im 23 weeks I've only put on 5/6 pounds it goes up and down. My doctor isn't concerned he said you put on most weight in 3rd trimester anyway and he will review in a few weeks

That sounds weird! Frankly, I'd give any doctor that told me I wasn't gaining enough weight a piece of my mind. This pregnancy, I've gained maybe 3 or 4 pounds, and last pregnancy, I didn't start gaining until after 30 weeks. As long as baby is growing OK, try not to worry :)

I'm only 15 weeks, but am still 10lbs LESS than my pre-pregnancy weight. I had lost 12lbs so I have regained two of them in the last few weeks. My last pregnancy started out much the same and I only ended up 15lbs more than my pre pregnancy weight in the end. Even so, baby was born a solid 9lbs and was healthy as could be.

Unless you started out underweight, I wouldn't fret about the lack of weight gain, providing baby is growing well. With both this pregnancy and my last I started off at around 145-150lbs and am 5'4", so slightly 'chubby' but not obese by any means. I'm not concerned at all.

BTW what clotting disorder do you have ? Von Willebrands here...

Thanks everyone. I'm not concerned at all really, was just thinking WTF really? I feel healthy and baby seems fine so I'm not worried at all.

And I have APS - antiphospholipid syndrome.

Just listen to your body and do what it's telling you. That's the very best thing you can do, and it sounds like you're already doing it. I lost 9 lbs first tri and didn't start gaining back until a couple weeks ago. I've gained back 6lbs but I'm still not even to my starting weight yet, and I keep getting comments about how my bump is so small for how far I am. Every time I hear it, it hurts, but I'm eating healthy and I'm not going to sit there and gorge myself on junk food just so other people can think I've gained enough weight.

My doctor isn't concerned at all, she said she'll only grow concerned if I don't start gaining in third tri, which is only two weeks away for me. So I'm sure I'll surpass my starting weight pretty quickly here!

As everyone else has said as long as baby is growing fine and you are measuring fine then I wouldn't worry. Like you say you are eating and getting everything you and baby need.

I have gained 6lb so far and only gained 14lb in my last pregnancy and he came out at 6lb. I didn't have a noticeable bump until 26+ weeks and it's the same this time around even though I started at a lower weight. My midwife isn't concerned as long as I'm measuring fine and baby is too. Some people don't gain much and some people do its same with bump size every person and pregnancy is different.

X

Tell em to shove it lol! Last time I was having twins and not one midwife, consultant, nurse or what ever had a single issue with my weight gain, never mentioned once. I started out with a BMI of 20 and I had only just hit 20 just before I got pregnant after being at a BMI of 18 or lower before then. At 15 weeks I had gained 2lb 25 weeks I had gained 5lb (in total), at 28 weeks I had gained 9lb and at 34 weeks I had gained a total of 38lb and delivered the next day.

I think different doctors think different things. I had uteroplacental insuffiency in my last pregnancy and only gained 9lb although Bella did come early (34 weeks) this pregnancy everything seems to be going well =) but 25 weeks also and only gained 3lb.. nothing has been said about it but as my boy is growing well i am not going to worry too much xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->