Anyone else bummed over vbac restrictions?

Darlin65

Married with a Munchkin
Reaction score
I was supposed to have a water birth at the hospital last time but DS was breech. I'm rather upset with all the restrictions my midwives have about constant monitoring and that means no water because the equipment isn't waterproof :cry: I would even go as far to say I'm devastated. They have switched to a new hospital and I know about 9months ago before switching they were trying to get waterproof equipment. This hospital is much more advanced so I'm hoping and praying something has changed so I can use water. Even if its just a bath and not the birthing pool.

I wish this too..but I don't see it happening here. I'm terrified... Good luck to you

I was just really ouning on the water as my main source of pain relief :( idk if I can do natural without it. I really wanted to be able to. To me that would be such a great accomplishment and so empowering.

It's your body, nobody can tell you how to give birth. The fact your last baby was breech was a complete fluke, there's no reason to say the same will happen again. I had a water birth and just stood up every 15 minutes for them to check the heart beat as they didn't have water proof equipment, I would be questioning why they are saying you need continuous monitoring because the fact you had a c section isn't a justifiable reason alone. They can't chain you to a bed, don't take the MWs word as gospel, in the UK we have websites about birth rights, see what you have the US. You are giving birth, not undergoing a medical procedure that needs management :flower:

Why do they need constant monitoring? My cousin had a c-section due to breech but then had 3 vbac water births after that. She had to stand every 15 minutes for the hb check but the mw said they do that for everyone. This is i n the UK, not sure where you are.

I in the us. It's just part of vbac regulations.

I'm in the UK and have been told in no uncertain terms by the consultant that I cannot have a VBAC water birth. The hospital has the underwater monitors but I'm told the reason is because if there was an emergency (scar rupture) they might struggle to get me out the pool and those minutes could be crucial. :shrug::cry:

I was devastated during my consultation. Cried 3 times, cried all the way home and then cried for 2 days straight after. I honestly felt depressed! Even considered throwing in the towel and opting for a section at 39 weeks! :cry: The stupid thing is my midwife supports my wish for a water birth but the consultant says no! :nope:

I'm hoping to have a more supportive consultant on call on the day!

There's got to be other options? You could try a home birth? I'm in the U.S. too and if I was attempting a VBAC, I'd be doing it at home because our medical care sucks and tries to control us. It's all about money to them, and it's BS.

I really hope you get what you want! :hugs:

I am not comfortable with doing a home birth. Our son has a few different heart conditions and only one functioning lung. It didn't show up on scans so we found out after we had him while still at the hospital. After I was discharged we had to immediately take him to cardiology at children's hospital. Plus we live a good 30min plus from any hospital.

Key word 'restrictions' what happens when you should up at the hospital and decline constant monitoring. You do still have rights as a human, regardless of being a VBAC.

I have a lot of 'restrictions' as my midwife said too, but being human means I have ways around them, she said.

There's got to be other options? You could try a home birth? I'm in the U.S. too and if I was attempting a VBAC, I'd be doing it at home because our medical care sucks and tries to control us. It's all about money to them, and it's BS.

My midwife told me the other day that as I'm a VBAC, my only options of birthing place is a hospital, because I'm now classed as high risk.

Therefore in the UK I believe home birth is out of the question if you are VBAC. I wasn't however told of any restrictions once in the hospital. X

My midwife told me the other day that as I'm a VBAC, my only options of birthing place is a hospital, because I'm now classed as high risk.

Therefore in the UK I believe home birth is out of the question if you are VBAC. I wasn't however told of any restrictions once in the hospital. X

Home birth is never out of the question in the UK, consultants and MWs can only advise what is best they can not tell you what to do, you don't need permission to have a home birth. I know lots of ladies who have had VBAC home births (not personally, on here lol!) Unfortunately medical professionals will often misadvise women making it sound like they HAVE to do something. Not saying that I would necessarily go against medical advice, but it annoys me the terminology they use to make their lives easier so women think they only have one option.

I know I don't need permission to have a home birth, but believe me being a nurse myself, we don't tell you these things to make our life easier, it's to make yours safer. So if my MW, the expert in her field tells me for mine and my babies safety I need to labour in hospital, then I'm going to.

It is just advice at the end of the day, and whether you choose to listen to it is down to you, so no they can't make you do what you don't want to, no one can. But it's advice given for a reason. Xx

I know I don't need permission to have a home birth, but believe me being a nurse myself, we don't tell you these things to make our life easier, it's to make yours safer. So if my MW, the expert in her field tells me for mine and my babies safety I need to labour in hospital, then I'm going to.

It is just advice at the end of the day, and whether you choose to listen to it is down to you, so no they can't make you do what you don't want to, no one can. But it's advice given for a reason. Xx

Unfortunately it is not as black and white as that, I'm not going to get into on here now but some MWs will use the wrong terminology and misinformation (deliberately or not) to wrongly advise (usually tell) women they can't have a home birth, all I am saying is that you don't have to take their word as gospel, you can do some research and get second opinions to decide if you think their advice is actually in your best interest or not. I've not been in the position myself, I have had very positive experiences with my health care providers, but I do see A LOT of BS batted around and not enough women know their rights. In my home town for instance one MW goes around telling women they "CAN'T" give birth in the nearest hospital (40 miles away) if they are low risk, they have to give birth in the local midwifery centre (which doesn't have drugs) of course this is BS, you can give birth where you want, but for this rural location there are financial reasons they don't want women going to this hospital, so sometimes, whether it's politics or misinformation medical professionals don't always give the right advice (just as with any other field) thus we have the right to question it, just as we have to right to question anyone else in a position of authority over us.

(This isn't directed at you in terms of your birth choice, I mean other women who have been told NO to something and aren't satisfied)

I wanted a waterbirth with my son but never got the chance to do a birth plan, I was induced and after 14 hours ended up having a section as he got stressed, I have no idea what I can and can't have this time round as of yet.

I have been told no to a warerbirth too. Desperate last time but because waters broke and no contractions for over certain number hours risk of infection meant couldn't. Ended up needing csection in the end. Desperately hoping again this time but been told no

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->