Anyone else having a second baby shower?and am i overreacting?

ashleypauline

K&A's Mommy
Reaction score
In the US its usually common to have a baby shower with your first baby. Generally after that you dont have another shower. There has been this new thing called a baby sprinkle which is just a small get together to celebrate the coming of the baby and people usually bring little gifts like an outfit or some diapers..nothing over the top. Well, i never planned on having another baby as close to my son seeing as i was 19 when i had my son. So as he grew out of things i just gave everything away. Car seat, clothes, toys, bottles, everything! So my cousin told me that she was going to throw me a baby sprinkle, but then when i found out i was team pink she decided to throw an all out shower because its a different sex and i had nothing. Its still a small get together, like 25 close family/friends. but my aunt and 2 older cousins already said they arent coming because they are "too busy" but they've known about it for almost 2 months now. And i am just really worried about getting too many clothes because girls are fun to shop for, and not enough needed things, like burp cloths, and bibs etc =/ are my worries unreasonable?

I live in the US as well and I had a second shower for this baby because my oldest is six and I didn't have any of his old baby stuff due to me passing it down. I dont see anything wrong with you having a baby shower or baby sprinkle esp if its going to help out. Worries are common because you dont know what ppl are going to get you. Are you gonna do a registry??

No not unreasonable. I went through the same thing recently. I'm on #3 and its my first girl. Ds#1 is 12 and ds#2 is 7. We were not planning on having any more kids so we gave EVERYTHING away to the nieces and nephews. Then bam! #3 and its a girl! I didn't think it was appropriate to have a shower as we could afford the basic necessities away so I did both with anything but my coworkers decided to give a full out shower cause it was my first girl. AND my mil said since she didn't have any baby showers (or any girls) that I needed a shower so I had two small full out showers. I did get many clothes, some duplicate outfits and most are even 6-12 months!! So I just quietly returned some of the clothes for burp clothes and receiving blankets. I still don't have a highchair or anything else big but I know I have time (she will only need me, food, clothing, diapers,wipes and a place to sleep for the first few months any way).

Not unreasonable. But definitely don't expect a lot out of it. I was team blue for my first, and this one is team pink. We tried to keep a lot, but still need a few of the big ticket items and definitely a new wardrobe.

We had a small baby shower for this second baby, and out of 8 people (besides family) who said they would come, only 2 showed up! I got lots of clothes but not much else. It was still helpful, though, and my coworkers said they plan on throwing me a small "sprinkle" as well. So we will see what that brings.

For the most part, I am planning on getting everything I need myself, and if I happen to get them from someone else, then hurray! Lots of thrift shop and consignment store shopping.

Most people here go for the second shower, although I'm not really into it. Although we know the sex ourselves, we haven't told anyone. We already have everything bought - travel system, play yard, clothes, cloth diapers etc.

I'm considering doing a meet & greet after baby is born instead of a "sprinkle". People can see baby and give a gift if they choose.

I do have 3 registries, mainly because i liked different things at different stores haha. but my shower is sunday and nothing has been taken off of it =/ except her bedding set

I do have 3 registries, mainly because i liked different things at different stores haha. but my shower is sunday and nothing has been taken off of it =/ except her bedding set

That's the thing with those registries. I had three also hahaha. Its hard to jus keep one. You'll get stuff don't worry. I felt the same way. Some people jus use the registries to get an idea of the things u like.

That's the thing with those registries. I had three also hahaha. Its hard to jus keep one. You'll get stuff don't worry. I felt the same way. Some people jus use the registries to get an idea of the things u like.

i have babiesrus, target and buybuybaby...i had bottles and a bouncer taken off one of them from my work baby shower and someone has bought her complete bedding set weeks ago but thats it. I have nothing so im panicking hahaha by 28 weeks with my son i had everything and this time im high risk for preterm so i am like OH NO!

i have babiesrus, target and buybuybaby...i had bottles and a bouncer taken off one of them from my work baby shower and someone has bought her complete bedding set weeks ago but thats it. I have nothing so im panicking hahaha by 28 weeks with my son i had everything and this time im high risk for preterm so i am like OH NO!

Yea I understand. Mines was like that with my first also. I didn't get as many of stuff off my registry like the first time. But I still got more than enough stuff. Not to mention some got stuff off my registry but didn't have it scanned so I had no way of knowing it was purchased until the day of the shower lol.

I'm in the US, too, and it's very common to have showers for subsequent pregnancies (at least in my area). I had one with my second pregnancy, too (opposite gender), but opted out of a third one despite that being pretty common as well. I told all of my family and friends, whom were urging me to have another shower, that they are free to buy something for the baby, but that I didn't feel right having a third shower.

Yea I understand. Mines was like that with my first also. I didn't get as many of stuff off my registry like the first time. But I still got more than enough stuff. Not to mention some got stuff off my registry but didn't have it scanned so I had no way of knowing it was purchased until the day of the shower lol.

other thing is, im on bedrest now and havent been paid for 2 weeks so money is really tight :wacko:

other thing is, im on bedrest now and havent been paid for 2 weeks so money is really tight :wacko:

Urghh that does suck. I'm hoping everyone gets you what you need so you guys dont have to buy anything. That's the stressful part. Do you know anyone that can give you second hand stuff???

Urghh that does suck. I'm hoping everyone gets you what you need so you guys dont have to buy anything. That's the stressful part. Do you know anyone that can give you second hand stuff???

unfortunately no :cry:

I did not get a shower with my first until a tiny thrown together one after his birth because he was born suddenly and prematurely. No one bought a single thing off my carefully put together registry (although I did get a rather large gift card from my office).

If someone even hints that a shower for my subsequent pregnancy is out of order, I will...well I'll probably just ignore them.

Of course, here, I don't think showers for subsequent pregnancies are uncommon. Doesn't every baby deserve to be celebrated? Or is it just the first? Because I am finding that no one is really excited about my second pregnancy the way they were the first, and that already hurts. It feels like DS was special because he was the first grandchild, but now this one is hardly worth a mention.

As others have said, the idea of a shower for baby #2 is perfectly reasonable. As for registries, I had one thoughtfully put together at the most convenient place for people in my area to shop, and still only got one item from it lol. Although I'm good on clothes for pretty much her whole first year now...

unfortunately no :cry:

Bummer. Try not to stress hun. Jus see what happens on Sunday. I'm sure u'll be fine :)

I've never been invited to a second shower, but I usually get a gift for a second baby anyway, so if you want to feed me some tea sandwiches and mimosas for my trouble, you won't get much argument from me ;) As long as you aren't a big greedy pig in general, your friends and family will know you aren't just begging them to finance your kid.

Your worries are legit and tbh it is quite likely you'll get a lot of pink clothes unless you tell your cousin to spread the word that you would prefer practical gifts, or do a registry. People will assume you have everything already.

We do a sprinkle for our friends having second babies, usually take them to brunch and they get gifts (usually clothing). Sometimes I've given a gift card but never anything like a car seat or monitor, if they hinted that that's what they wanted though we would pool money and get them that. But when a friend of mine knew she was having a girl (after a long string of boy babies in our group), she did get all clothes, some of it was practical like onesies and pjs but a lot was nice dresses and stuff her baby would probably only wear once. Like you said, everyone loves to shop for baby girl clothes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->