Anyone else in the same boat?

Bubbles25

Reaction score
Thought I would post to this section as it seems very relevant to my situation at present!

I'm 25, my partner is 28, and we're not actively trying to conceive, but if it happens, we're happy.

For me, it's because I have PCOS. I was diagnosed at 14, and prescribed Metformin, which helped me for a short while, but being young, and not really understanding the ins and outs of it all, I basically had it put to me 'if you want to have regular periods you can go on the pill' so in my mind that was the best option.

I was on the BCP pretty much right up until May last year. Had my withdrawal bleed, and then nothing. I came off the pill because I wanted to see if my body was capable of ovulating, etc on its own after so long. It wasn't.

Went back to the doc, who prescribed Metformin after I requested to go back on it. I was put on 500mg, to then go up to 1000mg after 2 weeks. When that prescription ran out, I went back and made the stupid mistake of telling the doc we're TTC, thinking he would up my doseage, or give me something to help me ovulate. All I wanted at that point was my AF!
My doctor is a bit of an ass, and basically told me to go away and have lots of sex for a year, and then if I still wasn't pregnant, then he would do something to help me. But 'natural is best'.

Err, HELLO?! I'VE GOT PCOS - WE CAN ALREADY CLARIFY I CAN'T CONCEIVE BY MYSELF CONSIDERING I HAVEN'T HAD AF FOR 7 MONTHS.

An acquaintance of mine spoke to another doctor for me to get a 2nd opinion, who is evidently quite knowledgable about PCOS and has helped lots of ladies with it to conceive. He was outraged about my original doctor not giving me any more Metformin, and was even shocked at the doseage I was on. He prescribed me some more Metformin, and to take 1500mg a day, and also prescribed me Dianette. I was surprised he gave me another BCP to take but I thought there had to be method behind the madness.

Anyway, I took the Dianette for a total of about 4 days but decided I didn't want to have to rely on that again to get AF.
Literally 1 week after I upped my Metformin doseage, I got AF!
I initially wondered if it was because of the Dianette, but it happened too soon for the BCP to have really had any effect on my body.

Needless to say I was in a fair amount of pain at certain points and it was quite heavy, but my body obviously needed it to happen and I'M SO HAPPY it did.

It now means I can actually put the ovulation tracker app on my phone to good use, as I now know what day of my cycle I'm on.
I'm now wondering if the Metformin is going to be able to regulate me or if I'm going to have another AF-less 7 months!

Sorry for the essay, just wanted to give the full picture. Has anyone else had a relatively similar experience/success story with Metformin?
I also wouldn't say I have extreme PCOS, I'm not hugely overweight or have excess body hair or anything like that, but I do watch what I eat because I know I probably would put weight on easily.

Also, would anyone know the reason why the doctor might prescribe me Metformin AND Dianette together? I've looked all over the internet and can't find anything on it.

Thanks!

Hi =-)
Im going through something sort of similar, Im 25 years old and my partner is 29. In August I found out that I had ovarian cysts. One was so bad that it basically mangled one of my ovaries and it had to be completely removed. On the other side the cyst was small so it was just drained. I was on birth control for 3 years and the cysts still managed to grow. After surgery I was told that since I was on the pill during all of this happening that there was really nothing else to do to stop them except maybe trying a higher dosage. I had already been on a higher dose for the past 2 years. So basically I was extremely worried about this happening again and only being 25 years old and not being able to have children.

I spoke to another doctor who told me that they would never remove my remaining ovary because of my age and the fact that it would put me into menopause. However I told her I was still concerned that there might be damage from previous cysts or if a new one formed. At that point she told me to start taking pre-natal vitamins and to get pregnant. Im still in school and this wasnt the best time to be hearing this but I talked to my partner and to my surprise he said lets do it. So we havent been stressing about trying yet just taking it as it comes.

I dont know anything about the medications but figured I would reach out, I havent come across many women my age that could have possible fertility issues.

Can I add my tuppence worth? I don't have PCOS, but when I was NTNP to have my lo I came off BC in the February, had AF Feb,mar,Apr and may, then AF no show jun,jul,Aug,sep,Oct,Nov,Dec had AF in Jan then nothing again until the may. I then got my BFP in the July! What I'm trying to say is that even though AF has gone AWOL there is still a chance of a BFP!

P.s I was taking no other medication . good luck hun!x

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Myself and my partner have recently decided for me to come off my pill. I was diagnosed with PCOS last year and have been on and off the pill throughout 2013 seeing if my periods would regulate, they have their moments but sometimes do arrive on time which is good. As this is our first time trying I'm not really 100% sure on how PCOS would effect us having children, I am fully aware that it might not happen naturally but is their anything different we would need to do? Any advice for you ladies?

:happydance::happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"