Anyone else planning a home birth when they live far from hospital?

anita665

Mum of 2 & expecting 3rd
Reaction score
I live 45 mins away by car. I'm really worried about having a home birth because I'm just so scared of things going wrong but my midwife thinks it's for the best as my last baby was an unplanned home birth.

I live 45 mins away by car. I'm really worried about having a home birth because I'm just so scared of things going wrong but my midwife thinks it's for the best as my last baby was an unplanned home birth.

:hugs: I had a home birth, and we live 40 mins away from our "local" hospital. Yes, it was planned, and yes, the midwives were happy for me to do so, even though it was my first.

First off, if the midwives are happy and recommending a home birth, they're not just saying it for the fun of it. They really do think you are a good candidate for a home birth. If there was any doubt, or any risk at all they'd be shifting you to a planned hospital birth in a shot.

Secondly, what people don't tend to tell you is that many of the things that can go wrong in a hospital setting are less likely to happen in a home setting. They went through some forms with me when I had my HB signed off, and I was really surprised to hear the statistics. I can't dig it out now, it's all in LO's room, and she's fast asleep - I don't want to wake her. I'll dig it out over the weekend and post the highlights to help put your mind at rest.

The other thing that I think is pretty cool is that on LO's birth certificate, her place of birth is shown as our address! :cloud9: But that, I know, is just a little thing in the grand scheme of things!

If you have any more questions, fire away :flower:

Thank, it would be great to hear them. Anything to stop me worrying at the moment really.

I am; at night it would probably take about 30 minutes door to door but in the day time/rush hour it could take about 45 minutes to the local hospital.
I do have some concerns about if we need to blue light it to the hospital it is quite far away, but to be honest i'd rather be in an environment where its calm, controlled and somewhat personalized rather than in a hot, busy hospital where you're one of many. x :)

Right, here's the summary of the document I had to go through when my HB was signed off. The only bit I've added for easy of understanding is in red. All the rest is what is written the document that both me and my mw signed. I hope it puts your mind at rest.

- a planned homebirth is associated with an increased likelyhood of a spontaneous vaginal birth, and reduced probability of induction and acceleration of labour, assisted delivery and c section

- women who give birth at home have a reduced morbidity compared to those giving birth in an obstetric unit.

- women who give birth at home are less likely to have an episiotomy, and are more likely to have an intact perenium

- low-risk women, irrespective of parity (number child you are having!), have much shorter labours at home. This is due to a number of factors, including:
- ability to adopt positions favourable to facilitating normal birth
- control over birth enviroment
- more relaxed, therefore more oxytocin
- continuous labour support from family and mw

- (slightly negative on first read, but read again carefully!) evidence relating to place of birth lacks quality. Studies suggest that intra-partum perinatal mortality is similar to or may be slightly higher in babies born at home. BUT this is related to women who in late pregnancy developed high risk factors and were appropriatly transfered, and unplanned home confinements being included in the studies. i.e. these are unplanned home births that are skewing the statistics here :)

- evidence shows that between 1-15% of multips (women on second or more baby) will transfer. i.e. not many will!

- mw are experts in normal childbirth and are trained to an exceptionally high level. Care provided at home is goverened by the same protocols as at hospital. mw are highly skilled at recognising when labour deviates from the norm and will transfer at an early stage should this occur.

- evidence shows that women who opt for a home confinement report a more positive birth experience.

- women are less likely to use pharmacological pain relief if having a hb.

- if the woman declines an ultrasound scan, the implications of not knowing the placental site and the number of foetuses should be discussed.

- the eligability criteria for hb is 36 + 6 and 41 + 6 weeks.

- reasons for transfer to consultant care include:
- raised blood pressure/pre-eclampsia
- prolonged spontaneous rupture of membrane over 18 hours if not in established labour
- failure to progress - less likely at home as more relaxed
- Post Partum Haemorage - reduced incidence of PPH due to shorter labour at home
- cord prolapse
- fetal compromise - less intervention at home to cause fetal distress
- maternal/neonatal resuscitation - babies born at home tend to have higher apgar scores than those born in hospital.
- shoulder dystocia - associated with a semi-recumbent position and lack of mobilisation, which is more common in hospital.

thanks for the info solitaire! its reassuring to hear the statistics put out this way. though i think they differ slightly with each region- i live in Devon in the South West and I think they're quite relaxed about home births here. :)

Not sure whether its because my mum's a community midwife so the clinic midwives think i'll get all the information at home, but they were quite blase about it all when i said i wanted a home birth from the beginning! Didnt give me any statistics or anything, although my mum did tell me that where we are they don't advise having a home birth if you're under 37 weeks. No limits really on being overdue, unless you become ridiculously overdue. All midwives and hospitals can give you is guidelines. You're not going to be pulled aside and bollocked for not conforming to their ideals- they're only guidelines. I never knew this before I got pregnant!
I really don't like the idea of being induced so if I do become overdue, unless baby is in danger or distressed I probs won't consider hospital induction until nearer 42 weeks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->