Anyone else work where they don't offer leave?

Wow, I am just shocked by this thread! So you ladies in the US dont get any form of unemployment from the government when you have a child? I work for the government of Canada and am feeling awfully guilty about all my perks.

Sorry to hear that some of you are worried and stressed. I hope the best for you.

Wow, I am just shocked by this thread! So you ladies in the US dont get any form of unemployment from the government when you have a child? I work for the government of Canada and am feeling awfully guilty about all my perks.

Sorry to hear that some of you are worried and stressed. I hope the best for you.

That's right! Very very little protection here for pregnant women and new families. It's pretty crappy.

Woah this thread has really shocked me! I'm not that clued up on what goes on 'across the pond' but I'm so surprised you guys get no mat pay or anything! We are obviously very lucky over here, we get 9 months statutory maternity pay from the government, but can take an additional 3 months off unpaid taking the total mat leave up to 1year. Dads can take 2 weeks paternity and receive statutory paternity pay (admittedly its not very much pay but better than nothing) I know you guys don't have an NHS, but do you have to pay to go to hospital and have a baby? xx

Yeah our country is more interested in telling the rest of the world we're the best, instead of actually taking care of our citizens.

Yes we have to pay for any medical service we take, childbirth, etc. Either through high insurance that many can't afford or out of pocket which can be economically crippling to the average person. My DH got appendicitis and ended up with a $11,000+ bill he had to pay himself as a poor graduate student.

Yeah... either you pay for insurance, (and you still have to cover your deductible, copays, and coinsurance that the insurance doesn't cover) or you have to pay for your hospital bills outright.

My dad had to stay in the hospital for 2 days. He had a kidney stone and they didn't do anything except give him an IV and a morphine drip... and the bill was over $8,000.00 because they were uninsured at the time.

My husband had to go to urgent care one week before his insurance from his job was effective, and saw a doctor for 10 minutes... all that was done was prescribing antibiotics... and the total bill was $300.00.

Insurance is a whole different story. It's very expensive... for example my grandparents pay over $1000.00 a month in insurance because they need a very good policy to help cover my grandma's medical bills. They still have amounts they need to pay out of pocket that the insurance doesn't cover- copays, deductibles, and coinsurance.

It's crazy.

While I would have liked to be paid for leave, I know that if we get paid by the government that somebody has to pay for that. I wish that wasn't the case.

Don't get me wrong, healthcare reform definitely needs to happen here in the U.S., and the bills can add up quickly. BUT there are usually programs that can help. For those in the poverty limits, most states have government insurance called medicaid. For those in the gap of not qualifying for medicaid but not being able to afford health insurance, often hospitals have financial aid programs that can help. DH had surgery on his back and we only paid $20. I've had blood work done in hospital labs and at the time qualified for their financial aid and it got covered completely.

Also with maternity leave, I do agree that U.S. policies could be better, but... maybe it's the business/math part of me... I can see why employers wouldn't want to be required to give you paid leave for that. The fact is, having a baby is a choice in the US (yes, I know that a lot of pregnancies are unplanned but [unfortunately] it's legal to choose whether or not to continue with that pregnancy). I've a friend who's self-employed in Italy as an English teacher, and she's now coming up on her maternity leave but she and her husband are finding out just how hard it is to juggle keeping the business going by hiring someone else to cover her, but also working it out so they aren't losing half of their income. It's not easy.

I know for larger companies the burden isn't as large, but like I can, I can see from a business perspective why it's not desirable to have those kinds of requirements and laws, when by law they cannot discriminate based on gender. While there should be laws that protect the woman's job for a certain period of time after the birth (and in the U.S. that should be longer) I can't imagine any employer wouldn't PREFER to hire a man over woman of childbearing age, who may get pregnant, then the employer has to pay mat. pay (which includes payroll taxes to the government for all of those wages), PLUS paying for a replacement, getting comfortable with that replacement, then everything switching up again when the woman is ready to come back.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think it's my employer's responsibility, or the government's responsibility, to provide for my child. DH and I are young and have so far lived pretty much around the poverty line as far as income goes, and we have always had plenty of money to do things we need to do, and usually even the things we want to do. We have savings built up for emergencies, etc. I actually lost my job when I was 10 weeks pregnant (not because I was pregnant, my employer didn't know before giving me my 2 weeks notice). We plan on me being a SAHM so I've not pursued any other jobs very much, but even if I had worked the whole time, and planned to go back to work after the baby was born, we would've had more than enough to cover my maternity leave financially. We probably could've afforded DH to take off the whole 6-8 weeks with me too. It's not always easy, but it's doable.

While I would have liked to be paid for leave, I know that if we get paid by the government that somebody has to pay for that. I wish that wasn't the case.

But government benfefits are paid usually by taxes and by your own contributions (like here you pay into your employment insurance).. so it's not like you haven't earned your right to those things if they are provided.

But government benfefits are paid usually by taxes and by your own contributions (like here you pay into your employment insurance).. so it's not like you haven't earned your right to those things if they are provided.

I was just going to say that! hahaa...Where do you think the goverment is getting that money? hahah..from us...so technically that "somebody" is me!!!!

I'd like to add that I'm thrilled that my taxes might go to other people that need the help. In fact, I *wish* more of my taxes went to the social security net, rather than subsiding corporate greed and needless wars. I consider it both a social contract and an act of compassion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->