Anyone else's child have a life-threatening allergy?

JASMAK

Mom of three
Reaction score
My son has an allergy to kiwis. He is to carry two Epi-Pens at all times. He is to give one right away and go straight to hospital, then give another shot, if needed, on the way. We were just told all this yesterday after testing with the allergist. Just now wondering...how do we keep the epi's on him at all times? Who needs to know? Any advice? Thanks!

He is also allergic to grass, trees, and cats, but are not life-threatening.

School, any clubs he goes to, anywhere where you won't be there need to know. If he goes to a friend's house, their parents need to know too. I guess he will need to get used to carrying them around in a backpack or something, I'm not really sure on that one. I know that at my son's preschool an epipen (presumably for one child in particular) is kept in a drawer which is away from the children's reach but not so far away that it couldn't be reached in an emergency.

I have an allergy to kiwis! The last time I went near one by lips started to swell up. I've never been to the doctors about it which perhaps is a bit foolish of me, it was ok when I was young because they just weren't particularly common then so I never received any testing as a child.

My DD doesnt but my DH does. He is life threateningly allergic to bee stings. We keep one in my bag because im always with him and one in the kitchen cupboard (he doesnt need two like your DS does, his two are so there is always one around) But i think teachers, clubs he goes to, his friends parents, your family. Have you thought about getting him one of those medical bracelets or something? Just keep them in a backback and have him take it wherever he goes or in your bag if youre with him.

I am also allergic to kiwis, i just always let resteraunts know if I order desert. Just incase they use the same knife for the kiwis and other fruit xx

I am also allergic to kiwis, i just always let resteraunts know if I order desert. Just incase they use the same knife for the kiwis and other fruit xx

Good idea! Will do that.

Do you have oral allergy syndrom with it? Apparently that is common with kiwi.

They make holders that go around your ankle that hold epi pens. I don't know how old yor child is but that may be an option. I also echo pp with making everyone pertinent (teachers, coaches, etc) are aware. My best friends daughter has a level 5 peanut allergie. She is 4 and very concious of it and is very careful to ask if things contain peanuts before she eats anything unfamiliar. It's important to empower your child with self awareness :)

A family friend has an awful allergy to pretty much any type of bug. He carries an epi-pen in a pouch type thing that clips onto his belt or belt loop...that may be a possibility.

As far as then medical bracelet goes, although it is a great idea, I'd ask him how he feels about wearing one first. I had epilepsy when I was younger (9 when I was diagnosed until 12 or so) and my mom tried getting me to wear a medical ID necklace, and I absolutely refused. I felt like kids would pick on me for it (although I got picked on for a bunch of other things as well, so that may have been why I felt this way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->