Anyone else's child lost the plot since starting school?

Laucu

Reaction score
This week has been especially testing - she is like a different child. We now have daily meltdowns over anything and everything. Screaming and crying over the smallest of things. I won't brush her hair NOW. her brother is sitting on the same blanket. The ham fell out of her sandwich. Refusing to sit on the toilet for a wee before bed.

Anyone else experiencing this? I can only guess that she is just really, really tired. But good grief, it is HARD WORK. She's an angel at school as far as I can tell though!

Mine isn't quite that bad but he is absolutely exhausted. Every morning he asks what day it is and when it's not Saturday we get 'NOOOOOO!' Screamed at us and then he runs off and hides!

He too is an angel at school and does have a lovely time there. But he is just so tried that every little thing is a drama and he's so wired in the evening, it takes him ages to switch off and go to sleep.

omg yes Jason is SOOOOO different since he started school. Argumentative, back chatting, and full on temper tantrums.

Though when I ask him about school he claims to love it.

He was such a happy sweet boy before!

No personal experience but could it be that the kids are handling the very structured environment of school where they're basically told what to do and when to do it for large parts of the day by clawing back control wherever they can at home?

Maybe offering them lots of extra choices and free play opportunities for a few weeks would help ease the transition?

No personal experience but could it be that the kids are handling the very structured environment of school where they're basically told what to do and when to do it for large parts of the day by clawing back control wherever they can at home?

Maybe offering them lots of extra choices and free play opportunities for a few weeks would help ease the transition?

Yes that could be part of it, although she gets nothing but free choice when she's at home!

omg yes Jason is SOOOOO different since he started school. Argumentative, back chatting, and full on temper tantrums.

Though when I ask him about school he claims to love it.

He was such a happy sweet boy before!

Glad it's not just her then! I guess it should ease over time. It's a lot for them to take in isn't it.

DH reckons that sometimes other kids in the class might not be so well behaved and they could be a bad influence.

I have no idea.

I mean, Jason was fine at nursery, but it's like someone flipped a switch since he started school!

DH reckons that sometimes other kids in the class might not be so well behaved and they could be a bad influence.

I have no idea.

I mean, Jason was fine at nursery, but it's like someone flipped a switch since he started school!

Same with Emma! But then nursery was pretty chilled compared to school. And only for a few hours a day.

I Wonder about the behaviour of other kids having an influence too.

Ho hum, let's hope it passes soon!

Did you notice this kind of thing with your older two?

I have no idea.

Same with Emma! But then nursery was pretty chilled compared to school. And only for a few hours a day.

I Wonder about the behaviour of other kids having an influence too.

Ho hum, let's hope it passes soon!

Did you notice this kind of thing with your older two?

With Alex I did yeah (well, it wasn't quite the same, he didn't melt into tantrums but he did become naughtier), but not with Lydia (she went through her naughtiest phase when she started nursery).

Yes, as has most of the other parents. We call 4-5pm the 'witching hour'. It's just tiredness, over stimulation and new environment, they need to build up stamina. We've brought bedtime etc forwards which seems to have helped a little.

Glad it's not just Jacob! He's 4 going on 14 at the moment. His attitude is appalling! Over stimulation would make sense. Hoping it's a phase that passes quickly. Bring on half term!!

Daniel was very much like this when he started school-he was just a total nightmare from the minute I picked him up until he went to bed.
It was partly tiredness and partly the structure. He was like this for the whole of Reception and year 1. Year 2 he was better but by the end if each half term he started to struggle. This year so far he's been fine.

Esther's been generally fine do far-a little bit harder but not too much. She is however a lot more tired and sleeps longer over night.

They do get there in the end. It's a huge thing for them and they are learning do much. I would imagine if any ind if us was to go to collage/uni we'd end up really tired too.

So so sick of Jason telling me he never wants to see me again. I swear if I hear it one more time I'm gonna lose the plot myself!!

Omg yes! LO has been a nightmare the last couple of weeks. I've been putting it down to tiredness. I hope it passes soon.

I am so glad it's not just Ben!!!!
He is vile when he gets home from school. The walk home can take up to half an hour (it should take about 10) as he won't walk, has tired legs,hates me blah blah blah!
He's fine once he gets home and
Had food, drink and a.cuddle.but it takes an age to wind down x

Thank goodness for half term! Emma is now also constipated because she won't poop at school. Joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->