Anyone emigrated to Oz (or from Oz)?

Mummy Bean

Parker & Dougs Mum
Reaction score
Just looking to see if anyone one on here made the move down under and have any experience?

It something my hubby is desperate to do, and I am not so keen but then again I have never been where he has been a few times. So i gave him the benefit of the doubt and said I would research it.

I started researching it and the pros so far: weather, more job opportunities esp for hubby who a plumber, excellent education and healthcare system.
cons: weather (lol i know but working in 40degree heat), it the other side of the world...boys would never see there grandparents again, out of the 10k ppl that move there every year nearly half come back, the sheer cost of moving,i currently live in london one of the most cosmopolitan cities on earth...will Oz really live up to it?? Is the life style really that much better then here?

So any insight?

I am from Aus but have also lived in the UK (my partner is English).
Lifestyle in Australia wins hands down! I moved back here 35 weeks pregnant, I just didn't want to raise my daughter in England when she could grow up here. I know lots of immigrants who LOVE it here. My partner found it very hard moving here, but gradually finding it easier. He will never move back to the UK but that is only because of our daughter and he agrees that it is better to raise her here, but he is always homesick and misses family and friends.
Not everywhere in Aus us hot either :) it's a big country and southern states are a lot cooler. I would suggest finding work before moving. There aren't a lot of jobs around like everyone thinks there is. My OH didn't get one for a year, luckily he found one with great pay. You do earn more, but the cost of living is higher also.
Come for a holiday before making the decision. It is such a big move and no matter what it is hard. But you can then get a glimpse of what it might be like :flower:

We went on a 6m working holiday and I can honestly say I wish we had never come home.
We were looking into emigrating however dh job was no longer on the occupation in demand list.
I thought when we were there that the cost of living was cheap, especially bearing in mind we were hiring a car and paying holiday rental prices.
Now we have ds I don't know that we'd ever make itv out there and dh is 30 gets less points and would have to take an english exam.
I also wouldn't want to sell up here so we would need to have enough money for a house deposit again etc.
Xx

Why is the lifestyle so much better? My brother is there ATM and says that but can't seem to say why... Is it just the weather?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->