• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

anyone get carpel tunnel or tingling numbness in fingers

Yes I do! Worst first thing in the morning. I think it may be from handling bubs though rather than breastfeeding. My fingers feel weak too.

To be honest they linked it to mega sleep deprivation and anxiety. I got bloods done by the doc (thyroid etc). I had tingling in pregnancy that was carpal tunnel x

I had carpel tunnel when pregnant, but shortly after LO was born I got "mommy thumb" which is primarily from picking up LO incorrectly, but it was aggravated by breastfeeding by where LO's head rested on my arm. I was able to fix it by using a thumb brace for a while and laying LO on the pillow for a few days instead of my arm.

I assume that LO's pressure on the nerves in your arm can aggravate carpel tunnel as well. Luckily mine did not last by switching positions and using pillow instead of arm to support LO.

Thumb and wrist pain for me. My GP basically told me I'd have to put up with it, it was due to hormones and it'd fade after I stopped bf'ing. It's not as bad as it was and I only get surprise twinges every so often.

Thumb and wrist pain for me. My GP basically told me I'd have to put up with it, it was due to hormones and it'd fade after I stopped bf'ing. It's not as bad as it was and I only get surprise twinges every so often.

In your thumb and wrist it is probably De Quervain syndrome, or Mommy Thumb, caused by repetitive motion not hormones.

De Quervain's is a condition in which the tendons from the thumb to the wrist become inflamed and rub against the "tunnel" that encloses them, causing sensations from mild discomfort to severe pain on the thumb side of the wrist.

Though anyone can develop de Quervain's, it's most common in new mothers and usually stems from stress on the wrist resulting from lifting a baby frequently. A 2009 study from the University of Colorado found that women are four times more likely to develop de Quervain's than men. Michelle G. Carlson, M.D., an orthopedic surgeon specializing in hand and upper extremities at New York's Hospital for Special Surgery, estimates that the ratio is even higher. "I'd say it's about 90 percent new moms," she says.

Here is a link to the second page of the quoted article and it has tips on how to relieve it some:
https://www.parents.com/baby/new-parent/motherhood/mommy-thumb-5-ways-to-ease-the-pain/?page=2

Also, if you lift your baby under the arms, don't let them slide into your thumb joint and lift with the armpits, lift them by gripping the ribcage and lifting them instead of sliding them into your thumbs, if that makes sense. It helped me a lot.

Yes I get it because my son will not feed lying down completely he will only do so with his head rested in the crook of my arm xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->