• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone get chronic high blood pressure AFTER pregnancy?

sevenofnine

Reaction score
Hi!

Late in my third trimester (about 37 weeks), my blood pressure started to rise. It was very gradual. It wasn't until I was 40+4 that it spiked up to 160/105 and they decided to induce. I had no protein in my urine at the point, but developed pre-eclampsia while I was actually in labor. Everything turned out just fine in the end.

Previously to pregnancy, I was NEVER high, always 120/80 or lower. Now, 21 months post-partum, I am still running on the high side, up to 135/95. Usually I am sitting at 130/85, so not terribly high, but still hypertensive.

I am just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced chronic high blood pressure only AFTER pregnancy.

I am worried about getting pregnant again, and starting out with hypertension. I am worried that I will have more problems in a second pregnancy and this is turning me off from the idea.

Any stories? Thanks!

Here! I had very low BP throughout my first pregnancy 100/60 or less most of the time. Post Partum I was on BP medication for 3 months to bring it under control as it was hitting 200/90 and slightly higher.

It calmed gradually but with this pregnancy m BP has been higher for 'me' at 120/80. Normal for everyone else but high for me. I'm expecting it to rocket again PP but it's in my notes to check every 4 hours after delivery.

For me it's hereditary so I know what to expect.

I have the same..was normal through pregnancy, then went up during my non stress and even though I didn't have preeclmpsia we decided to do csection..was fine until 3 month pp and now I am consistently 135/95 which really makes me worried...yesterday it skyrocketed, i was so bad I actually got sick to my stomach and today it's back to 135/95 again...my doc doesn't seem to worry (which kinda worries me), but she thinks it's also due to anxiety (though not sure where cause and effect is :) )

Hi, my bp went up gradually throughout with my third child, at 36 weeks it became 'too high'. Just before natural labour at 38wks it was 150/100 and after baby 170/110. It never actually went down after i had the baby. I was on labetalol for 7 months post partum. It stayed about 140/90 since.
I've gotten pregnant again and my bp was high throughout first tri but it lowered to 120/80 ish in 2nd tri. I've been on aspirin since 17 weeks and was also given labetalol but i stopped taking it because it was making me dizzy (my doctor knows about this). I'm taking my bp everyday anyway just to be on the safe side.
So far i've not had any pre-e symptoms. I'm hoping it stays that way.
good luck to you x

Me! Never had high bp until I was pregnant with my daughter and it shot up and they couldnt get it under control went up to 200/120 whilst being induced.After birth I was kept in for 9 days as they couldn't get it down in the end got it to an acceptable level but it has always sat higher than normal. now 3 years later im pregnant again and on labetalol have just been to doctors as I have been feeling dizzy and my bp was very low for me so have reduced the dose slightly and im having loads of blood tests :-( x

Me! Never had high bp until I was pregnant with my daughter and it shot up and they couldnt get it under control went up to 200/120 whilst being induced.After birth I was kept in for 9 days as they couldn't get it down in the end got it to an acceptable level but it has always sat higher than normal. now 3 years later im pregnant again and on labetalol have just been to doctors as I have been feeling dizzy and my bp was very low for me so have reduced the dose slightly and im having loads of blood tests :-( x

I am thinking about getting pregnant again around this time next year, but I'm worried about the high blood pressure. :(

I hated the Labetalol, it made my scalp tingly and I got bad dizziness and anxiety from it! It didn't really bring down my blood pressure either which worries me.

I hope pre-e stays away for you and that everything is healthy!!!!

Mine never got very high, but it was 120/60 before during and after having Thomas. With Sophie it got to 145/90 and it has stayed around there even 2 years later.

I had chronic bp before my first pregnancy and it was managed very well throughout. Extra scans and more monitoring.

Since then I've been able to reduce my meds and I'm on half of what I was first pregnancy with this pregnancy (labetelol) again I'm being extra carefully monitored, growth scans, urine checks etc.

I found random things help my bp drop; the more active I am with exercising (running, pilates, circuits) the lower it drops. And I followed a clean diet with low carbs at night and porridge oats for breakfast and all of a sudden it really dropped!

There are risks with pregnancy and blood pressure and I've known beforehand both times and I'm comfortable that I'm in the best hands. I had preconception appt with my obgyn who assessed my bp before and got us a baseline. He also prescribed baby aspirin whilst trying and increased folic acid.

There are also other medications not just labetelol that can be used in pregnancy, there's methyldopa (doesn't work with me and labetelol has limited side effects on me so everyone is different) and between pregnancies I went on a non pregnancy safe drug that seemed to really really help me and I switched over about 3 months prior to getting pregnant.

I'd definitely recommend seeing about preconception!

I had chronic bp before my first pregnancy and it was managed very well throughout. Extra scans and more monitoring.

Since then I've been able to reduce my meds and I'm on half of what I was first pregnancy with this pregnancy (labetelol) again I'm being extra carefully monitored, growth scans, urine checks etc.

I found random things help my bp drop; the more active I am with exercising (running, pilates, circuits) the lower it drops. And I followed a clean diet with low carbs at night and porridge oats for breakfast and all of a sudden it really dropped!

There are risks with pregnancy and blood pressure and I've known beforehand both times and I'm comfortable that I'm in the best hands. I had preconception appt with my obgyn who assessed my bp before and got us a baseline. He also prescribed baby aspirin whilst trying and increased folic acid.

There are also other medications not just labetelol that can be used in pregnancy, there's methyldopa (doesn't work with me and labetelol has limited side effects on me so everyone is different) and between pregnancies I went on a non pregnancy safe drug that seemed to really really help me and I switched over about 3 months prior to getting pregnant.

I'd definitely recommend seeing about preconception!

Thank you for all that info! I am definitely going to see a doctor for a preconception visit. I am going to start the process at my yearly check up in February. I want to do everything I can to get my blood pressure under control before conceiving.

Apparently lemon essential oil can help as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->