Anyone had a miscarriage whilst breastfeeding.

Emily Roses M

Reaction score
Hi just after some advice! I managed to conceive on my second cycle (baby is 16 months) It has sadly ended in an early miscarriage :( I just wondered if the chances of miscarrying our higher when breastfeeding???? Feeling so numb and heartbroken today.

Sorry for you loss. From what I read during my MMC in the summer there isn't any evidence that supports breastfeeding leading to an increased chance of miscarriage. For this reason I would not be put off TTC whilst breastfeeding.

All my pregnancies excluding the first were conceived while breastfeeding. Of these I have had 1 singleton live birth, 1 MMC of a embryo measuring 6+3 and a twin pregnancy consisting of a viable pregnancy and blighted ovum.

I did find one area where I think more research would be useful... I don't have the links to the research support this handy any more and its a bit in depth...... You know how older women have an increased chance of miscarriage, as well as an increased risk of trisomy 21? And that the majority of early miscarriage's are caused by genetic abnormalities, the most common of these being a trisomy?..... They did some research on women of all ages with just one ovary and found these women where also at an increased risk of babies with trisomy 21. They concluded this was due to higher levels of FSH. Higher levels of FSH means the body is working harder to ovulate and may end up picking a less than perfect egg to release, which may have another trisomy incompatible with life leading to miscarriage.

With me so far? So with breastfeeding you have an increased chance of fraternal twins. This is because your FSH levels are higher. So if higher levels of FSH can cause an increase in trisomy 21, which is similar to trisomy's that can cause miscarriage..... and breastfeeding means that you have higher levels of FSH.... then it stands to reason that breastfeeding would mean a higher chance of miscarriage due to fetal abnormality.

However there is no research to support my hypothesis. Perhaps because there isn't a connection, perhaps because no one has thought to do the research, perhaps because the numbers of women conceiving whilst breastfeeding is too small to make it worthwhile research.

Thank you for this. I am sorry for your loss and congrats on your pregnancy.

I had a chemical pregnancy when my DD1 was 15.5 months. At the time I read that chemical pregnancies are slightly more likely to occur when bfing.

The chemical pregnancy was the result of my first ovulation - I hadn't had an AF yet. I think ov. returned as my DD1 was barely feeding. Around the time I must have conceived my DD1 got a chest infection and was constantly feeding again. I do wonder if my hormones went out of whack and it meant the pregnancy was unable to continue. I mainly think that because it seems like my cycle is very easily supressed when bfing. I virtually have to stop for it to return.

Sorry for your loss :hugs:

I've conceived twice while breastfeeding, and haven't had any issues during first tri. My second was stillborn, but that wasn't to do with breastfeeding, and actually BFing my eldest helped me considerably with emotional healing. Both pregnancies have been conceived on the first cycle of trying, so in my case it certainly hasn't affected my fertility.

Sorry you've experienced an early loss. It was probably nothing to do with breastfeeding at all. If you've conceived once while BFing, then you shouldn't have problems conceiving again - fingers crossed your next one sticks :flower:

Sorry for your loss. :(

I had a miscarriage while breastfeeding, then waited a cycle to regulate and then got pregnant again with this pregnancy.

I have also had a miscarriage while not breastfeeding so for me it doesn't seem to be the case, but I also got my cycles back pretty regularly so maybe the hormones don't effect me as much? I have heard of some women that have a hard time conceiving while still bfing and I managed to twice while bfing on demand and co-sleeping and dd still nurses throughout the day and night.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question!

Wanted to add that I agree with a pp that breastfeeding dd really helped me deal with my sadness. I don't know if it was the chemicals that get released from bfing or just the bonding but the miscarriage while I was breastfeeding was much less traumatic for me than the one when I wasn't.

A friend of mine did, than they stopped nursing and she conceived fine. I conceived and lost a twin in this pregnancy, while nursing.. No idea if there is a connection but it could be possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->