Anyone had accupuncture?

Amanda

Mum of 3
Reaction score
I've booked myself an appointment for some tomorrow morning to try and sort my back out. It's at a Chinese herbal clinic that DH's cousin recommended.

But now I've booked it, I'm worried. What is involved?? (Apart from the obvious needles!!):dohh:

I've had it done a lot times. It's really just tiny, tiny needles that they stick into the pressure points. They usually leave them there for anywhere from 10-20 mins. They will probably adjust them a couple of times. If it hurts, they got the right spot. If they put the same needle in a non-problem spot, you can't even feel it. You might want to ask them about doing it for fertility as well. I didn't get it done for that, but I have a friend who did and she got pregnant the next month. It might be worth a shot (or prick) :D !

I go every week. They will do a question and answer with you to find out about your basic health, history and any problem you are having. My place has reclining chairs, so one I get comfy, my accupuncturist checks the pulse on both my wrists, then pops in the needles. I usually lay there for 30 minutes and then head home. I love it, and notice I always feel better on that day.

Thanks girls.:hugs:

Holldoll, I'm a little confused - I thought it was supposed to NOT hurt!? DH's cousin went to the same place, and he said he didn't feel a thing.

Everytime I've had it done, if I can't feel it, they take it out and re-stick me until I feel it. After it's in there for a few mins. they check it and if it's not hurting anymore they put it in a little bit further. I wouldn't say hurt is really the right word for it, it is kind of a small little pinch. I've been to three different acupuncturists and they all do it the same way, so I'm thinking it is supposed to hurt.

Ah, I see! Makes me feel a little better that both you and Samantha have been more than once!!! Can't be that bad!:rofl:

Like Holl said, when they hit the point that needs it, you know. It is not horribly painful or anything like that.

Well, I went yesterday and hated it!!!:hissy:

She put 8 needles in my lower back, bum and one in my calf. It felt like I had cramp in my nerves! It was a bit like an electric shock inside my body. I had the needles in for 20 minutes, then she did a proper Chinese massage - that was absolute agony!!!

Then she used the cups - the glass domes that they place on the skin to form a vacuum. The first one made me scream and she had to take it off. Then she asked if she could do it again, but less. I had 4 - one on my left bum cheek (that's where the majority of the pain is) and 3 on my lower back. I was almost crying with the pain. But she kept saying it was helping.

All she kept saying was that my sciatica was really bad and she could feel the swelling inside. She also kept saying that she was hardly touching me and wanted to do it a lot harder but my body wouldn't let her!

I'm left with 4 round bruises from the cups - the one on my bum cheek is amazing!!!!:rofl:

She wants me back on Saturday morning and has said she's going to really try to do it much harder then!

Anyway, the upside is that I do feel much better in my sciatica! I've got much more movement, and feel more flexible, even if I am bruised. I found it tough in bed last night because I am really bruised, but am feeling a bit more normal now. I've also got some Red Flower Oil to rub on before I go to bed every night - it's the Chines herbal version of Deep Heat and smells like Ralgex!!!:rofl:

Not for the faint-hearted.....

I've took a picture of my bum!!!!!:rofl::rofl:

This was done at 9.30am yesterday and it's almost 3pm now and it's still bright red! The camera doesn't show quite how bruised it is.

I've strategically placed my other hand in the way so you can't see any 'cleavage'!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/famanda33/DSCF1317.jpg

That bruise will last as well. I had a knot in my right shoulder that would not go away. For 6 months it was hurting. I would have my DH massage it, I would go and have massages. Nothing worked. I had my accupuncturist cup it twice, and it has not bothered me since. For me the cupping really worked. The bruise will be there for most of the week. But it will go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->