Anyone have a late August LO in reception?

Connah'sMommy

Reaction score
Iv seen alot in the news recently on how some parents are holding their late august LOs back at nursery for an extra year rather than sending them into reception/first full time year.

Before i read the bits in the news it never even crossed my mind about keeping him back but he is doing fine regardless.

J is a pretty late august LO, he was born on the 29th!

Anyone else have LOs who are late august?xx

My son is 22nd August he is now 10 and doing ok, he had a school that let him down and he got behind, I would have kept him back a year but I wasn't allowed to.

My son is also a Augusy baby. I did originally want to put him back but actually him being the oldest in his peers if he did wouldnt be ideal either now I think about it. He is 11 now, in secondary and has settled in xx

Mine is august 7th but developmentally he is 2 years old. He just finished his first full week in an SN unit. He is loving it. Theirs is more focused on play but I absolutely believe he is ready for school.

I think it's so dependent on the individual child. There should be far more flexibility for starting school IMO. Some are ready at a younger age while others really aren't. We know our kids better than anyone x

My LO was 4 on the 27th August (I think I rememebr you through the tri threads)
He started reception last week. He is very tired and grumpy and I think will take some adjusting to going every day but He was more than ready for school and I couldnt imagine him in playgroup for another year. I think it depends on the child though.

My son is a July boy. He napped for 2 hours a day until he was at least three and is exhausted after only four Half days at school this week! I know it's not an August birthday but he is so little! x

Hi my eldests birthday is the 27th august. He is now 7 and in Year 3 and doing great. He did struggle at first in reception (settling in etc, he used to cry everyday it was horrible). My other little boy is a July birthday and he just started in Year 1. He is 5 and he is doing really well. We didnt have any settling issues with him. x

My sons birthday is 10th Aug. He started school a month after he turned 4. The main issue i had with him was tiredness. I would have liked him to of been able to of just done half days for the whole of reception and i believe that allowing children to remain part time for longer is more beneficial than holding them back a full year.

He is now in year 4 and currently he does struggle a bit although part of that is because he is the type of boy that doesn't like schooling anyway!
For us we would rather he be the youngest in the class and be behind and not the oldest in the class and behind as had we held him back the likelyhood was that he would still be behind.

My son's birthday is 31st August. He's the very youngest in his year (year 1) but is doing really well :)

My son was 4 on the 22nd August and he will be starting in Reception next year, just after he turns 5 :)

My LO is an August baby and has just started school. He's enjoying it, though he finds it exhausting, but he is noticeably behind in a lot of areas. He has a developmental delay and severe speech delay though which obviously doesn't help, but they don't seem to be taking it seriously and keep being really condescending and saying I should try harder to persuade him to practice things. Does stress me out a lot that a child who just turned four, and who only just learned to talk and has the speech of an 18 month old is expected to be able to read short books at the same level as the five year olds in his class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->