Anyone have experience with feeling their own cervix?

Vickster1

Reaction score
I know this post wont be everyones cup of tea but here goes..

I've been tracking my own cervix over the last week and it's definitely getting softer and more dilated. Like you can literally fit 2 fingers in the opening now and it's getting more soft. This is my first baby and i'm currently 37+4

In the UK midwifes don't do cervical checks to see what's going on until you maybe have a sweep if you've not gone into labour naturally by 40 weeks.

I'm just wondering if this means I may be any closer to having her? I don't think my mucus plug has gone yet :-(

xx

You can be dilated and effaced weeks before giving birth. You can be completely closed up and go into labour that same day. It's different for everyone. You're brave feeling your own cervix though, don't fancy trying it myself! Hopefully things start moving along for you soon x

I think the reason UK midwives don't bother is because it doesn't give you any clues on when labour will happen, I've read about ladies being 7cm dilated and still not going into labour (can't remember if it was this forum or another one). I'm just impressed you can reach to check!

Wow, you must be so bendy!

It really doesn't mean much. With my first I was 4cm dilated for weeks with bulging waters before actually finally going into labour at 40+3.

I'd be wary of checking yourself given the risk of infection.

Wow! How can you reach? I'd love to check if I could. 2 fingers has got to be a good sign :)

I ALWAYS throughly wash my hands beforehand. I read a lot into it before I tried to make sure I wasn't doing damage and a lot of midwifes actually encourage it. I suppose it's similar to what a lot of women do when TTC. Damn i was hoping it meant i was nearly there! ha

I know how you feel. I had a sweep today and I'm 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. 2 days overdue. I'm deluding myself into thinking I'm spontaneously going to go into labour any time now.. when really I probably won't. :haha:

So jealous you can reach! The fact you can reach it is actually a good sign leaning towards labor. The cervix changes to anterior position closer to labor. Softness indicates you're effaced and from what you are telling me it sounds like you are at least 2cm dilated! So that's good!

Washing hands thoroughly is the best bet obviously from avoiding infection. Since your waters haven't broken you should be fine.

But still!!! Jealous you can reach. Mine is still pretty high up out of my reach despite being 3-4cm dilated at 60% effaced as of 32 weeks!

I think how low baby's head is means more than anything else. I've been feeling a little more dilation and I've been soft for weeks, but yesterday when the OB checked, it was how low the baby's head was that she was concerned/excited about.

I could reach my cervix at 40 weeks first pregnancy, after I got a sweep from My mw, I went home and gave myself another sweep lol

I felt my cervix all the time while pregnant, during labour, and even just before birth. I liked assessing myself, and my midwives were fine with it.
I was 3cm at about 36 weeks, and at 39 weeks after 6 hours of prodromal labour I went up to 5cm and stayed at 5 cm for about a week before my water broke. I even learned how to tell how engaged my baby was and judge effacement.
When I was in the tub and started to feel pushy, my midwife asked if I would check myself, and I did and was at a 9 so she knew to call a second midwife over ASAP. Baby was born a half hour later and I was 40+2. :D

It sounds like you're between 2-3 cm and starting to efface, and if you can feel your cervix at all that's a good sign since it means it's anterior. However, as others have said, all of this information tells you NOTHING about when you will go into labour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->